Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan's Verses Commemorative Collection- Seeking Advice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 799Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
141 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  6:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A very broad question but I need to determine the area of collecting that makes sense for me. Otherwise I feel like "I want every coin I see". The two types of coins that intrigue me the most are the commemorative series (1893 to 1954) and of course the Morgan and Peace series. Both series are just beautiful and would be a great and worthwhile challenge to assemble a set. Do the more excellence collectors here have any advice on which might be better to concentrate on? Thinking about what coins may have better investment upside, have one series seen price stagnation,issues to watch out for like fakes, slabbed v. Raw? Any opinions welcome here and thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3544 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest that you add up the book value of all the coins in the different series, in the grades you want, and see if you are prepared to pay the cost. Of course you may get some deals but that gives you a starting point.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both series are great coins. Both series have seen values go up and down over the last 20 years. I personally would find more satisfaction in a complete set of early commemoratives than a complete set of Morgan or Peace dollars. They are beautiful coins and they each have a story to tell. Most, not all, Morgan and Peace dollars are just bulk silver produced by the mint "because they had to" according to the price support laws that kept the western silver mines profitable. That is why they were available in mint sewn uncirculated bags all the way up until the 60s at face value. Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan dollars and have a complete set of CC GSA dollars. They are also probably one of the most collected US coins but the history behind the commemoratives is incredible.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
2155 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some beautiful silver commemoratives, and much more design variety than a Morgan set. In addition, current prices are well below levels in the past (although there's no guarantee they will return to historical levels). It's an interesting series whether you collect circulated specimens, toned coins, or high end slabbed coins.

Of course, Morgans are great, too!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19423 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't see a great future in any Commemorative coins. Silver Dollars appear to always be in demand though.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2155 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Peace dollars, I would say do those. The Morgan series has a few unobtainable coins unless you have mucho bucks.

I do RAW, although the 24S was slabbed as I couldn't find one in Raw I liked.

Edited by hfjacinto
12/11/2019 10:35 am
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great advice and somewhat agree that the commemorative halves really do each have their own story to tell and many (not all are just beautiful). Their prices also seem pretty reasonable so maybe an upside. The Morgans would be very costly to attain in high grades so thinking I might try to do both maybe in lesser grades. That is an outstanding looking Peace dollar set you assembled! There is just something compelling about a complete set. thanks for sharing the picture. thanks all
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are dollar sets everywhere, not as many Commemorative sets, and as a rule the commemoratives are rarer. Personally If I was doing a set I would do the Commemoratives, but being me, I would want to build the set in circulated condition. But that is just me, I like circulated coins.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've personally seen a slight rise in interest towards the early commemoratives recently. Is it temporary? Hard to say. While still relatively affordable this may be the time to start. If so, go for the key and semi-keys first if possible. Either way, both series will increase over time. The only question remaining is which would have the greater potential long-term if that's what you are after. Which I think would largely depend on where the market is at the time. Bottom line is that the choice ultimately rests upon you.

Two great choices. Enjoy!
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
12/11/2019 7:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forget about either being an investment, both sets are very common aside from the best of the best or wildly toned ones with the right look. Classic commens have been going down in value for years and years, but common grade common morgans have as well.

That set both sets are very doable and affordable in MS grades aside from a few pieces. A date set for morgans is really cheap.

For commems the Hawaii and Grant with star will be 4 figures in MS the rest below that depending where you want to be on grades. For Morgans the the 93 S and 94 P are going to hurt in any grade and there's several others that won't exactly be cheap even circulated like the 89 CC.

The commemorative set would be cheaper over all and more interesting with different designs, but if you're looking for something to gain value the morgan keys are about the only thing with any chance of that currently.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsForComics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There isn't a reason why you can't collect a little from all the sets you mentioned. If you're looking for an investment I would research the sets and look for the gems or keys to the sets and focus on buying the best graded that you can.

But as one of the posters mentioned a few of the commens have gone down in the last few years. I remember looking a 66 '93 columbian a few months ago and I don't remember the specifics but checking the auction history noticed it had fallen from something like 900 to $650 the last few years or so yeah they can go down.

the only thing I can tell you there is to buy the best graded that you can afford but the trick is, its not going to be so pricey that if the coin goes down you're thinking you made a mistake, feel regret because you have so much money in the item or second guess your purchase.

Learn More...
United States
88809 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 799Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05