Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 Buffalo Nickel You Vs PCGS

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  11:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
6291 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43872 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
55 or 58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12410 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS60 give or take
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Buff head-scratcher. Thank you for sharing the challenge with us!

When I talk about Buffs with mismatched die states, this one is a poster child. The obverse is late die state. The reverse is early middle die state. The obverse die shows evidence of heavy die clashes and extensive polishing to reduce the clash marks. This reverse wasn't the die that c;lashed heavily with this obverse die. Add a weak strike into the mix and heavier contact marks on the obverse than the reverse, and this one is a grading challenge.

The obverse has the weak LIBERTY of 1913-14-15. That is a design issue, and irrelevant for grading these three years. Virtually the entire right rear leg of the buffalo is visible as a clash extending into the "BER" of LIBERTY. The chin / EPU clash has been polished (severely) below the chin. The second feather / buffalo's head clash has been polished to the point of abrading away parts of the tip of the second feather. The date / "ED" of UNITED clash resulted in polishing that weakened the date. The top if head / ground level clash resulted in polishing that obliterated part of the hair and made the second feather rachis incomplete. A weak strike flattened the first feather, hair above the braid, braid, eye, nose, lips, and chin. The late die state is evident from the heavy metal flow away from the central design elements and toward the edge. Multiple contact marks exist on the forehead, chin, jaw line, hair above the braid, neck, date, and long feathers. There is some disruption of luster on the obverse (especially where the hair meets the cheek), but this disruption seems to be from album storage rather than circulation. There is no matching disruption on the reverse. By technical grade, the obverse would hit MS-63. I see a two-point deduction for strike weakness and post-clash die polishing, for an obverse net of MS-61.

The reverse is better. the early middle die state reverse masks the weak strike a bit, by having sharper peripheral elements than the obverse. The legends are strong, and do not have evidence of much polishing to eliminate clash marks. That said, the weak strike leaves the buffalo with about half the hair on the head and back, significant loss of detail on the beard, shoulder, and front left leg, and little detail on the rear legs. The rounded appearance of the flank shows the strike weakness. On the other hand, the reverse has fewer contact marks than the obverse, and they are mainly on the highest points of the shoulder and side. By technical grade, the reverse could hit MS-65, but strike weakness would cap the reverse at MS-64.

Overall, I could see this coin net grading at MS-62.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43872 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that analysis!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2442 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to fortcollins (bookmarked) so I can understand these Buffs better....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12410 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fortcollins > ,you should write a book on Buffalo nickels . Explaining in detail the different dies used for each date and mint , how to tell the difference between weak strike and a coin with wear , Design flaws , Errors & varieties , ETC . The Forum appreciates your contribution you have given to this series .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43872 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, that was quite a schooling!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
everytime fortcollins provides an assessment I think the entire CCF is schooled on these. speaking for myself I've learned more since we've been privileged to read them than in over 50 years of collected. Thanks fortcollins you are indeed an asset and wealth of information for our forum.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you fortcollins for taking the time to teach me something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7098 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too am with fortcollins on this one. lower end MS grade is probable, unless there is more than the photos can show us here. Buffs are so hard to grade from static photos even in hand many are just plain tough to tell. I had a really nice NGC AU58 1923-S that I was convinced was really MS but could never get it into a holder as MS, offered it with MS pricing - it didn't ;ast long in my inventory after a Buff collector saw it, lot's of luster and fairly well struck. Worth the price difference? I thought so and was laughed at by many dealers, until a serious collector finally appreciated just how hard it was to find a coin like it, and was purchased no argument that it was a nice coin regardless of the grade. One of my tougher coins to grade I've ever had.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
7927 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05