Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Connecticut D State Quarter No Reeded Edge Error?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,237Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  05:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Charliesk8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there coin community I am new to the forum as well as to collecting and I am enjoying the plethora of knowledge that you can both share. Has anybody seen or do they know what a 1999 Connecticut D State Quarter with no reeded edge is about? I just recently started queen collecting and found it in a roll of quarters appreciate any and all input. If you need more pictures please let me know. Again thank you advance for your orthotics

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33513 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like PMD to me but let's wait for some pros to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charliesk8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John1
J appreciate your humble opinion and I understand why you'd say that especially based on the horrible pics. (Sorry still figuring that part out) but I assure you this appears clean. Definitely not worn out of time and use. So then the next question is is it done intentionally machine or ground down but there again when you hold the coin and look under a jewelers glass is evident that it has not been machine and it has not worn down overtime is there any other options?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33513 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was "ground down" it would weigh less than normal 5.7 grams. If it was flattened down it should weigh normal. I do not see it leaving the U.S. mint like that, that is why I said PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8067 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John1 about it being PMD.
It doesn't matter how it was done, what does matter is that
with it being struck in the reeded collar, there is no way
that you could have a plain edge. The only way you can have
a plain edge would be if you had a smooth collar
Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ck8, first welcome to CCF. Second, those pics are fine--well above average for a first-time poster.

Finally, I agree that this coin didn't leave the mint with the edge looking this way, but rather someone has removed it mechanically. A good website to learn more about mint errors is error-ref.com (although of course we'd love to have you hang out here too).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44275 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal weight, flattened. Slightly less weight, removed removed reeds. Either way, an altered coin. Spendable
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw the early stage dryer coin theory into the mix.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charliesk8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK so apparently everybody believes that it is post mint damage. What about the possibility of it being a Sacajawea planchette error?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PSD and it would be impossible for it to be a Dollar planchet. Why? They are not the same weight or diameter and the fact that the quarter is nickel clad, the Sacagawea is not nickel clad.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charliesk8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, well I certainly appreciate everyone's input. On to next blue ball adventure
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Charlie. I think just about everyone who's taken up this hobby has had the experience you're having right now of incredulity when everyone tells you the thing you're *sure* is an error is just PMD. That said, I can assure you that is what it is (and definitely not a sacagawea planchet, which would be a completely different color and wouldn't have the copper core). You'll develop the eye for what is an actual error and what isn't as you find more real error coins and read more about what errors are possible and what they look like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect clad but was hoping to see what is the diameter of the coin in question?

There does seem to be a slight ridge on the obverse rim at K-9. This is probably metal being forced up when the reed were removed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16502 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Normal weight, flattened. Slightly less weight, removed removed reeds

Quote:
If it was "ground down" it would weigh less than normal 5.7 grams.

Except there would be no way to know whether the weight had been reduced. I put a quarter in a lathe and just take off the reeds I would reduced the weight by >.1 grams, probably significantly less. And since the tolerance range for the quarter is +/- .227 grams you have no idea what the weight of the quarter was when I started and the weight removed is much less than the tolerance weight. So unless I started with a coin at the bottom end of the tolerance weight, 5.44 grams, the altered coin will weigh within the tolerance range.

There is only one way for a quarter to leave the mint with a plain edge, and that would be if it was broadstruck, and in that case you would not have that flat edge with sharp corners. (I you look at the edge of a planchet you will see that it is NOT flat to begin with, so when it is struck without a collar it definitely isn't going to be flat afterward.) Even if you had a press with quarter dies and a plain edge dollar collar you wouldn't get the OP coin. The collar is significatly wider than the planchet so it would be unlikely to reach the collar all the way around, and evenif it die the resulting coin would be noticeably greater in diameter with very wide rims. Note how wide the rim is on the quarter side of the Sac/quarter mule. That is what the rim would be like on a quarter struck in a dollar collar.
Gary Schmidt
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charliesk8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I appreciate your understanding and you hit the nail on the head when you suggested that I may have gotten my hopes up a little early. Also, Condor101 is correct the weight is 5.62g. Petespockets55 I don't know the exact diameter but I can tell you it is or at least appears to be almost exactly double a regular quarter. Still not sure what the deal is but from what I gather from you informative and thankfully humble gentleman and ladies is that somebody out there has entirely too much time on their hands!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05