Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Come To A Sad Realization, There Are Some Coins I Truly Do Not Like!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  8:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yes, while I love coins, there are some mostly a few modern sets I CAN'T STAND! There are some coins I think are hideous! Yes we also have classics that are pretty bad but there are some I just don't like. Lets start off with the least objectionable to worst.

Barber series of coins: Yes, I have an almost full set of Liberty nickels, but the Barber series (Nickel, Dime, Quarter and 50 Cent) are just boring. I don't think they are ugly. There are a lot of uglier coins, but they are just boring. I have a fellow collector that love V nickels and they have an interesting story and they don't cost that much so I will complete the Liberty nickel series but compared to the Bison Head or the Mercury dime, they just aren't in the top 10.

SBA Dollar: Here is the thing, I truly admire Susan B. Anthony. I liked the size of the coin, the reverse was very nice, but the Obverse. SERIOUSLY!! I guess since all the other coins had old men on it we needed an old women on it. I ended up putting the few I had back into circulation. I have one in my type set and that's enough.

Ike Dollars: SORRY JBUCK. Ike dollars are seriously ugly. Lets take an ugly bald guy and make him uglier by making really large and then making the circulation coin in clad. Yes this was the first coin I was given when we moved to America and it was a coin I still have 43 years later, but DANG these are ugly! At least a few are in silver so a silver proof Ike isn't terrible but its not something I want more than for being the first coin I got when I moved to the US.

ZINCOINs: Yes, I do collect zincoins, I have the full series, but if there any other example of a bad product this is it. They are terrible. The copper coating barely lasts any time and SOOO many have zinc zits. In the future the Zincoins will be looked as the final straw before the mint stopped producing 1 cent coins. The mint made an inferior product to wean us of cents. SAD, SAD.

Ben Franklin 50 cents:
Yes we have now come to ugliest coin in America, the coin that made Walking Liberty scream and run away. There is no uglier coin. It shocks me that people collect Ben. Yes its silver, but even in the "junk silver" trays I won't take a Ben home. I mean really going from Walking Liberty to BEN? What was the mint thinking.

And I mean no diss to anyone that collects these series Heck, I have mint/proof examples of each, but they are just UGLY!!

Ok, no mint yet of the Barber 50 cent piece, haven't convinced myself to spend that much for a coin I'm not in love with. And as can seen look at Walking Liberty running away from creepy Ben.

Heck, even Peace and Morgan turn around so they don't have to look at Ike.

Honorable Mention:
2005+ Jefferson Nickel Yes the 2005 Bison Nickel is super cool and yes I have all 2004/2005 westward series, but Thomas stop staring at me ;)

Hope you enjoyed this tongue in cheek post

Edited by hfjacinto
01/15/2020 8:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12722 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with you on most part but the Zincolns are not ugly because of design , they are just crap in the metals used to make them . The 83 to 2008 Copper plated zinc Memorial design is so much better than the modern shield cents .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take an IKE or SBA anyday over a middle linebacker Morgan.

Barbers generally get disliked because the nice ones are so expensive so I get that. Generally though big silver coins get a pass and are more well liked, even though some of them are very weak designs.

Old nickels really did have a weak design group.

One of the true shames is that a great design like the 3CS is on such a small coin that many brush it off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bop, I agree with you the Lincoln's arent ugly but the zincoins are a terrible product. Just badly made , I doubt many will last much in circulation and those I get back as change even only a year old are in bad shape.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basebal I agree a circulated Morgan gets ugly quickly but I'm comparing MS to MS, an SBA in proof doesn't look terrible neither does a proof Ike (it's bad but not Ben bad) but for the general series they aren't Walking Liberties or ASE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, I'm right there with you! I think we have the exact same taste in coins. And you are absolutely correct in your assessment... how can the mint go from the great classics from the beginning and mid of the 20th century to the ugly coins at the end of the century? Makes you feel old, doesn't it? I agree with all that you said, hfjacinto!

I think the problem started and continues to this day with portraying dead presidents (and dear old Ben) on the US coins. They need to have a contest to redesign all the current coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover I have come to the realization that I just love you

We need to bring back the golden age of coins! The Mercury dimes, the standing liberty, walking liberty, IHC and flying eagle! And the Peace dollars and bison nickels!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, the feeling is mutual! You are a great contributor and part of CCF, and it wouldn't be the same without you!

Let's continue this thread the opposite way... The most beautiful coins the US has produced... it has to be the Mercury dime (of course), followed closely by the Standing Liberty quarters. Runner-ups are the Buffalo/Bison nickel and the Indian Head penny, and I guess I would include the Peace dollar.

Retire the presidents and bring Liberty back!
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ike dollars are seriously ugly. Lets take an ugly bald guy and make him uglier by making really large and then making the circulation coin in clad.

Want to make your Ike even uglier? Wear it down to P01! I literally LOL'd when I saw this coin!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scary!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not an Ike. It's uncle Fester.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12722 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The most beautiful coins the US has produced... it has to be the Mercury dime (of course), followed closely by the Standing Liberty quarters. Runner-ups are the Buffalo/Bison nickel and the Indian Head penny, and I guess I would include the Peace dollar

What ! How can you forget the Walking Liberty half dollar ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL
You guys are killin' me. That one does look like Uncle fester! The only thing missing is the light bulb sticking out of his mouth.
And what's up with bashing old guys with Dome top mullets. Poor Ben!

But those early Memorial Zincolns will dissolve before the more modern Shields because split plating issues were more prevalent. We don't see it as much anymore on shields.

Early Standing Liberty and Walking Liberty years are exquisite. I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the St. Gaudens which seems to have sharper details than the Gold Bison.

I will close with this thought: Modern coins seem to be about history, not artistic beauty. And it seems to have started halfway through 1917 when they made Lady Liberty cover up her bare bosom. The coins that seem to make an impression and are appreciated have deep relief and details similar to most medals.

I'm going to lobby congress to bring back the scrawny "Turkey Eagle" as represented some early US coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The St Gaudens Liberty is still around in the gold coins. Yes that one was beautiful but generally out of my price range as far as collecting. I do have a 1/10 ounce of the proofs.

As far as the gold bison, I like it more (and so does my wallet) as a silver dollar :)

In my opinion, these are cases in which modern coins were done well.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/16/2020 09:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say the Morgan design is not pretty in my opinion.
As basebal says:

Quote:
I'll take an IKE or SBA anyday over a middle linebacker Morgan.

Mint state or not she still looks like a middle linebacker.

100% agree on the quality/material of the Zincolns. Terrible.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Edited by scopru
01/16/2020 09:08 am
Learn More...
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rcmartin1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with most everything you said. My favorites will ALWAYS
be the Indian Head - followed by all the Large Cents especially Draped Bust.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05