Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 Indian Cent - Is This A Mint Error?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  12:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Modern Coin Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this some type of Mint Error? If so, what kind of error is it and what would cause it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7649 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a pic of the reverse too ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31993 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not an error,PMD. How it happened? Looks like it was squeezed with a metal washer?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Modern Coin Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the reverse looks completely normal. No damage at all.

I'm not sure if it left the mint like that or if it was damaged later.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20334 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure looks like it was on some kind of lathe. But regardless, it didn't happen at the mint.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19072 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is called a post mint damaged coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1854 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, sorry, , PMD

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a user error. Someone did that on purpose. That coin is worth 1 cent. Spend it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44866 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just mischief.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12550 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rcmartin1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Metal lathe - not chucked up properly ? My old lathe could have probably done this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1854 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto wrote:

Quote:
It's a user error. Someone did that on purpose. That coin is worth 1 cent. Spend it.

I agree and disagree with hfjacinto here.

AGREE: Spend it, throw it back into the wild with hopes it lands in the hands of some inquisitive youngster who will want to know more about it and it leads to a lifelong interest!

DISAGREE: This coin is a great conversation piece! I'd keep it to show off (I'm weird that way).

I do try to practice what I preach. I occasionally put an Indian Head penny into a roll or those "take a penny/leave a penny" things in restaurants that have a cashier, with hopes that someday one will end up in the hands of someone who will treasure it. It's just a little gesture, sort of "paying it forward" type of a thing that costs very little. You never know how such a little thing might effect someone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover if you ever put an 1877 in the leave a penny tray please let me know ;)
Learn More...
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rcmartin1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same thing with Wheaties & your occasional ugly IHC. I haven't found an Indian Head in twenty five years.
Find silver coins once in a blue moon - usually a dime. Its kind of neat to get some of them back in the mix.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put $2 bill into circulation :) love seeing people getting them and looking at them and then put them to the side to save.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1854 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, my next 1877 IHC will be put in the mail to you!

Do the banks still have $2 bills to hand out?

Years ago I'd go to garage sales and pay in the gold Presidential dollar coins... they made people's day!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05