Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Grading A 1913 Type 1 Buffalo, Odd Toning From Old Coin Flip

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joemoris to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took some pictueres of this guy with a colored lamp using new technique. Fiirst two pics are the real color, them somoe flash then the odd colorized lamp pics. No post processing, pics are cropped only, no filters lenses etc.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I called Scotsman coins - a locsl shop here in St Louis to set up time to drop it off, and the guy was a total butt to me on the phone :(
I said "I'd like to drop a coin to have submitted to PCGS. I think It will grade very well.
He says "Welll there a lot of those buffaloes around you maybe shoudnt grade it
I say I know this is a great strike so I will pay the $$$ And he says Well, I dont know about that - I havent seen the coin. (NO SH&t SHERLOCK)
He goes on three times to tell me he hasnt seen my coin. At no point did I ever ask his opinion on anything. What kind of person tells a customer Three times "I havent seen your coin?"

Edited by Joemoris
01/18/2020 3:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12699 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Buffalo nickel I would send it in in a heart beat . Trash those colorized pics they do no justice to that coin . MS-66+
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joemoris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
804 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of person tells a customer Three times "I havent seen your coin?"

I can see this happening as a defensive measure, to me it sounds like he may have been trying to make sure you weren't going to submit a coin and not be happy with the result.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joemoris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sir, but these pictures are not colorized. Those are unaltered pictures taken with colored lighting, no effects etc etc. Taken with junk cell phone and nop setup. I am gpoint to play around with it and perfect the method if I can.
You have helped meout before I think on a lost profile. Many thanks sir.

Very nice Buffalo nickel I would send it in in a heart beat . Trash those colorized pics they do no justice to that coin . MS-66+
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joemoris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I can see this happening as a defensive measure, to me it sounds like he may have been trying to make sure you weren't going to submit a coin and not be happy with the result.

Oh yes very much so. I really feel for people working in retail at a coin / collectables shop. I very much understand their pain.

His approach was misplaced however. His first statement was along the lines of "it probably is not worth sending in....

In any business your first objective would be to get the customer in. Have them come uo, you never know what they may buy or even sell. You use that contact to build rapport and work on building a 'customer for life' etc etc.

Secondly, if I was working there in his position and a customer called and said "I have a very high end Buffalo that I would like to submit to PCGS for economy tier grading." My goto response wouldnt be to talk to them like they had no knowledge of coins or collecting. I would think oh an educated customer =- just the kind of person likely to spend money in my high end coin and jewellery store.

But if I took the peasants path and dissuaded them from coming in, then treated them as if they were wholly ignorant of the process and how valuations work yet they still said they would coome in and drop it off, I wouldnt take an imperious tone WELL *I* Havent seen your coin yet....

Did he think I did not know he hadn't seen my coin yet? Did he think it was good customer service to state the obvious to someone three times as if they were a toddler?

I only go on so much here so I can paste this thread to the mail I am sending to him / his manager etc. I hate to leave poor reviews of businesses, especially independently owned local shops. If I have to leave a poor review, I like to let them know who they failed and how. Some of my reviews have over 90,000 impressions and/or reads.

That being said, did you have a grade opinion on the Buffalo?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1405 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures hard to tell from, but looks mid level MS from what I see. MS64?

A lot of dishonest coin dealers like to tell customers their coins aren't worth much, not worth sending in and then offer to buy it from them.

I had a coin dealer offer $1 for a Morgan once..not even silver spot price lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1755 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small hits on the horn, upper leg, and feather, but nice strike. It could go MS-66, but for me it would be borderline whether to get it graded.
Edited by Zurie
01/18/2020 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
756 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Buffalo. Have you considered joining NGC or PCGS and submitting your own coins? I have found it's easier for me than through a dealer. My first coins I sent through dealer took 4 months, poor guy I probably bugged him every 3-4 weeks he did not make a dime from it but patiently explained how the process works. Because of how he treated me I subsequently felt good in his shop and did a fair bit of buying from him over next 18 months. Through this I did join NGC at his suggestion and happy I did , he also I suspect. Welcome to the forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't send it in. I have an MS66 slabbed that I paid $30 for. I think to get it slabbed cost more than I paid.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12699 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't send it in. I have an MS66 slabbed that I paid $30 for.

Is it a 1913 typ.1,slabbed by one of the top 3 TPG and when did you buy it ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
outstanding strike on this one. the roundness if the buffs torso is really nice to see as well as the horn and tail. everything I see points to at least MS66 with a shot at 67. I think its worth a shot at getting it graded
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05