Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Breaking Open A PCGS MS63 Morgan 1883-CC

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

So I'm at that crossroads where I buy a slabbed coin for a Dansco album and now having my doubts.

Here is a link to my Morgans(mostly circulated and or cleaned) http://goccf.com/t/365534 . This one has big time marks on cheek and field in front of face. Bag marks?

Still have 15 to go out of a 96 port album. But rather fill the hole in Dansco I think. Opinions?

Thanks,
Dyno
Pillar of the Community
United States
6467 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice 63. It won't fit in your album like that though. If you want it in the page break it out.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really, The luster is awesome very clean but the heavy marks on the chin, cheek, forehead and field in front of face? Are they bag marks?
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from that spot on the cheek its nice looking. Id keep it in the slab.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44813 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bag marks almost certainly. I'd leave well enough alone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get you all and your albums. Is your main goal to have one of every coin minted? Good luck with that
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8467 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your image is 2.9 mb and took forever for me to download.
Images don't need to be that large here and can still be as nice as yours are. https://www.coincommunity.com/image-optimizer/
Some of us still have chipmunks turning the hard drives in our pc towers.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry TNG, I once had a tag that said "I am old school, that why I am still 56K(if I can get it)."

Ill try to resize with that in mind from now on.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
keith12 Maybe its more about filling holes. Male gene thing we can't control. :) (ducking any save spacers types)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I looked it up in the price guide right, it's like a $250 coin? That's within my guidelines of ok to crack. Don't get me wrong, it's a super nice coin but if your goal is to finish an album, the slab is expendable. You could always reslab it in the future; it should be well protected in the album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's your coin, do what you want with it. I have personally busted many Morgans out of slabs for my album (that's pretty much how I have a complete album of high grade Franklins). The only time I won't, is if it's an expensive/high grade coin. Then I put it in my safe and buy a lesser grade for the book. I do it to make me happy, not others. I'll never sell my collection so in the end, slabbed or not, makes no difference to me.

When I liberate a coin, I keep the label in a safe place.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
01/25/2020 7:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5143 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is little difference in price for the 1883-CC Morgan in grades 61-63; even a 64 is only a little higher in cost. This is a pleasing, lustrous Morgan with typical shallow "luster grazes" on the cheek. It will look nice in a Dansco and there is little downside in cracking it out. Just save the label in case you want to sell it someday with the PCGS documentation.

If it were in an original GSA holder I'd advise you to leave it alone.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just save the label in case you want to sell it someday with the PCGS documentation.

No reason to save the label for purposes of a sale. If someone wants to for their records sure, but once the coin is cracked out the label is meaningless and no buyer should ever put any weight into a lose label next to a coin like that. Even if you can match that it's the same coin for sure, you don't know what happened to it when it was cracked out or done to it since then. As soon as it comes out of the slab anything that was on the slab is irrelevant
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"...once the coin is cracked out the label is meaningless and no buyer should ever put any weight into a lose label next to a coin like that."

(Sry have forgotten how to copy quotes)
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. [quote][/quote] Please use them in the future. ***

- no doubt you are correct in many if not most cases, basebal21, especially for coins with hundreds of thousands of survivors (as you said, "coins like that"). Just would like to note that in a future transaction between serious collectors of less common dates, that the freed TPG labels should still carry some weight if the unique markings on the coin ensure beyond all doubt that no tricks were played.

Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- no doubt you are correct in many if not most cases, basebal21, especially for coins with hundreds of thousands of survivors (as you said, "coins like that"). Just would like to note that in a future transaction between serious collectors of less common dates, that the freed TPG labels should still carry some weight if the unique markings on the coin ensure beyond all doubt that no tricks were played.

Even in cases where you can match it up it's in the collectors best interest to put no weight into the floating label. You still have no assurance the coin is in the exact same condition as when it was graded.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Point well taken, thank you. Still, with time/dated photos of the pre-crackout slab and the newly freed raw coin, it seems like the labels are still relevant to some degree.
If you will, let's broaden the discussion beyond Morgans, to include say Capped Bust and Seated coinage. You as a buyer are free to ignore the loose labels and offer accordingly. But as a seller who has safeguarded a given coin for years before reselling I could hold that with clear photos on the table:
a) most all examples of these older coins have a unique look so there is very little risk of my having swapped it with an inferior or uncertified example
b) changes in toning or new damage would be obvious and be factored into the asking price.
All told I do defer on the matter to you and the many more experienced members here on CCF. Just hoping that collecting in Dansco's in the $200-$600 per coin range does not have to incur a stiff penalty (i.e.,beyond the price of certification) upon resale. I know there are many who would never crack out a $200+ coin, and I usually do not, but if necessary to complete an album series it ought to be possible without a major downside.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05