Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

British One Pennys Worthless ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  04:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add g7hej to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am a newbie to all this seem to have about 30 of these coins all different years presume they not worth much just a shame to have them in a carrier bag in my shed, I have tried to post pictures and thinks this is the earliest, are they worthless ?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I doubt they are worthless. Check eBay sold values for an idea on current values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
308 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The vast majority of 20th century British pennies and halfpennies in that condition have very little value I'm afraid. I regularly take box loads to the scrap man!
There are a few that could be worth more, but it would take a lot of explaining to tell you what to look for. There are people whose lifetime hobby is collecting pennies and they still struggle spotting some of the rarities.
One thing you can look for is any mintmark letters - these appear on 1912, 1918 and 1919 pennies to the left of the date - you are looking for H or KN. Still not scarce but fun looking.
19th century pennies have many more options for rarity, but really only pre-1890.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3280 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS pays $2.50 per pound for them. I live in Canada
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46024 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That hurts!

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keeping a few in case all the others go to the melter.
I like the big coppers and Those are easy to find.
So cheap compared with Canada and US Large Cents.
Valued Member
New Zealand
295 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything above is true.

British pennies and halfpence were minted in huge numbers between 1860 and 1967. Some years had as many as 100 million coins minted.

They circulated throughout the UK and in many colonies until the mid 20th century. Here in New Zealand we had them until 1940, Australia had them to 1911, South Africa until 1923, and also ina few other places like Malta, Gibraltar, Ireland, Seychelles, Mauritus and various southern african colonies and the pacific islands as well.

As a penny had the buying power in 1900 of around 50 cents today, they were in everyones pockets and saw heavy usage. Hence with the exception of a few dates and varieties like 1933, 99% of these coins are worth melt value only (The copper in a penny is worth around 6 US cents) and nominally at facevalue (0.4166 British pence).

Pennies before about 1900 are worth some money in VF or better conditon ($10 in VF to say $50 in UNC for most dates). Coins from George V 1911 - 1936 are worth maybe $2 or 3 in VF and $20 in UNC for 1910s coins but only $2 for 1936 coins.

George VI and Elizabeth coins are worth maybe $1 each in UNC condition and nothing in other conditions.

Your 1919 coin is in G - VG condition, practically the minimum possible condition for a 1919 coin which should be at least Fine.

Sorry the news is not better.

UNC means no wear and bright lustre with pinkish mint bloom.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
02/07/2020 7:50 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
295 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pennies have such a bad name here, that dealers put them in buckets and sell by the KG.

One well known dealer who buys in coins, notes, watches and junk gold and silver has in big letters "Please no HALFPENNIES OR PENNIES".

I had a dealer friend who claimed he mixed 250,000 Britannia pennies into concrete and poured them into his garage floor.

The old lady or dremamer who says "I got a 18th century penny in great condition" and it turns out to be 1899 (They are so dumb, they confuse the 1800s with the 18th century) and the coin is worn flat. These are the bane of coin dealers.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
308 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the over-excited non-coin collector can be a nightmare. A few years ago I had a call from a chap who wanted to sell me his collection. I questioned him carefully as it was a long drive away. "All Georgian Silver in excellent condition" was what I learnt.
On arrival I found them spread out neatly across his dining room table and my heart sank. It turned out that by "Georgian" he meant George VI, and by "Excellent" he meant you could just about read the date! Even worse, he had got a copy of Spink and was expecting the book price for uncirculated examples across the board.
I left empty handed.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
325 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think to say 99% of British pennies are worthless and worth only melt value is completely false. There are hundreds of varieties and most the non penny collector would even know about . I would go even as far to say some penny collectors are still learning of new varieties previously unrecorded. Just 2 of the top of my head 1863 Die number below date specifically number 5 went for between 15000-19000 hammer price I think it was somewhere in the middle as did the 1863 slender 3 penny almost exactly the same price and neither coin was any better than VG/NF. Those are exceptions as you included but there are too many to mention that will even in as bad a state as just date recognisable that will fetch well over triple digits. Also copper was not used in British pennies after 1859 as they changed to Bronze in 1860 with the exception of the crossover coin of 1860 that was struck in Copper but the date was as the previous years on the obverse and not the reverse as all pennies after 1859 are.
There is a fair chance to find the scarcer varieties but the real rarities although mentioned on many a forum are just wishful thinking than standing any real chance of bagging one outside of a collection piece at auction. I agree from 1900-1970 there are a lot less high value coins but again there are many varieties which are worth a pretty penny more than you would think. I have even yesterday come across a previously unknown variety of farthing so there may even now still be coins we do not know of . Chance is very small but they are out there I am 100% sure of that
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05