Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 SMS Washington Quarter Possible WDDO-001

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:14 pm Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After finding what I think is WWHO-003 on the Kennedy half dollar I decided to check the rest of that set out starting with the Washington quarter, I checked on wexlers and on variety vista and this quarter is identical to the one they both have posted as WDDO-001 and 1966 DDO-001 on Variety Vista.

WDDO-001
https://www.doubleddie.com/1966537.html

1966 DDO-001http://varietyvista.com/09b%20WQ%20...6PDDO001.htm

Picture of the "R" in "LIBERTY" on my coin.

screenshot side by side of mine and the one on variety vista

All of the details match up with the ones listed on both sites, I just think its pretty cool I found 2 in the same set.

Opinions would be appreciated
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
02/11/2020 8:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, JohnWayne007... that's a nice coin you got. Kindly picture the first S in STATES, that's the marker for your coin variety. The CCF experts can make better determination if they see that the marker exists on your coin. Enjoy....

Courtesy of Wexler's site:
Die Marker:

Quote:
Reverse: A short die scratch runs NW from the lower first S in STATES.

Thanks...
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply sosicoin, as requested.

Pics of the marker, both images are same coin just one is in colour and other is black and white.

They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some more screenshots while comparing my coin to the one listed on variety vista just to show the similarities if it helps.

Every image I compare to is identical from what I have been seeing.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2646 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you got it...good eye..
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Greasy Fingers, anyone have recommendations on what I should do with it, should I slab it or just 2x2? for now I have kept it in the original case because there is extra metal around the rim of the Reverse above the "ES" of "STATES" and I didn't want it all coming off, the rim is very sharp.

Here are some pics of the obverse and reverse, is the 1966 DDO-001 common?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42301 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing but glare. When I down loaded the images and inverted it if appears like Machine Doubling. The glare is hiding it if it is there. The spread is very light on this die.

The spread is not on the outside of the devices, but just inside the edge of the devices. (very light)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The areas you are pointing to are just glare from the light, there is no MD in those areas and is all rounded and all of the markers are the same.

Here are some more photos of the "R" in "LIBERTY"
i just don't see how MD can make the "R" become split right in the same spot as the "R" on the DDO-001...

Edited by JohnWayne007
02/12/2020 2:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully it is alright but I borrowed the "R" image from variety vista for comparison purposes to show yous what I'm looking at and maybe it will help.

Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im not sure if it is considered a "Marker" or not, but I thought I should post this for everyone to see and hopefully have some confirmation...

Exact same marking on the 9 in the date.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42301 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incuse marks are 99%of the time, coin damage. If it were raised, it could be a die issue. If there were a wave near an incuse mark, it would be damage from moved metal. But look again at the V.V images and try to get images of the spread that are on these images. It should match if it is that same die. That is what I'm not seeing on your images. Are you using a single light source? To many lights remove light and shadows, the two things necessary to show spread on doubled dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am only using one light source which is the LED ring on the USB microscope with a white filter, I eliminated random light (light bulbs, natural light) by using a small white board rolled into a tube and placed around the outside of the microscope and the outside diameter of the coin so no other light source could show on the coin other than the light I am providing for the photos, long story short the only light reaching the coins surface is the one from the LED ring.

Is there any specific area you would like to see?

Also regarding shadows and lighting, I can point my microscope straight down at the coin completely flat and in any given direction/angle while looking at the coin and the spread is always the same and in the same spot (which doesn't happen with shadows) Normally if it is a lighting issue the shadows will be in different locations given the angle/direction the microscope is pointing. I have been on this coin for the past 2 days picking at it, every detail that is shown on the DDO-001 from variety vista is present on this coin from every angle (which I've tried) including different lighting and brightness.

I will do my best to provide better photo's, and again if there is any areas that coop or anyone else would like to see just let me know.

Edit: just some background on where this coin came from, this coin was in the same SMS mint set that I found the WWHO-003 that I personally cracked open myself and was always kept in the original case. So the marks on the "9" in the date and any others on the coin, if damage, happened at the mint because my hands were the only others that touched it besides the one who packaged it, this set also came from my grandmothers personal collection (she lived in the US and was a very big collector). I know all of this might not mean a whole lot, but I just thought I would mention all of that as this coin has never seen circulation and has only been out of the original case 4 times.

Edited by JohnWayne007
02/13/2020 01:46 am
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got around to taking some more photos and I hope these can give you guys a better idea of whats going on.

Hopefully something in these images can help confirm I'm not just seeing things...

Here is the last "T" in "IN GOD WE TRUST"
as you can see on the left arm of the "T" there is a small spread.

Here the "T" is again, in different light so you can see its not just glare.

Here you can see the initials "JF" that looks extra thick (not sure if this is normal but I found it oddly big) with a split in the tip of the "J".

On the Reverse of the coin I also found something interesting, in the first "S" of states, I found a complete split.

Here it is again in lower light.

Edited by JohnWayne007
02/16/2020 05:09 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05