Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

John Tyler Missing Edge Lettering

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  9:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Old Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a John Tyler Presidential dollar with no edge lettering. I know this was a common error on earlier issues of the series. Is this error commonplace for the series? Is it common for the John Tyler dollar? Thanks.
Learn More...
United States
15320 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@or, first welcome to CCF. Second, can you please provide a weight for this coin? I just want to make sure that the edge hasn't been shaved to remove the inscription.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Old Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a weight. I did measure it with a micrometer and the diameter is correct.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16627 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence ids right.
VERY accurate weight has to be known, to enable any reasonable investigation to proceed.

The edge as shown does indeed look (only slightly) suspicious. May? have been finished with a 5,000 grade burnishing wheel.
This sort of 'fooling around' with a coin is tempting,
especially when authentic missing edge lettering examples are well known.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32579 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like you are holding the coin with metal pliers,that is a no no.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eeeek! with John1.

And to the ccf.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Old Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check the weight, but the diameter matches all of the other coins I compared it to. I know it could be fake. I'm asking questions here because it could be real. The coin has been in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are known John Tyler Dollars with no edge lettering but I
think the hard part is proving it was left off and not removed.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Old Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll leave the proof to the experts. What I'm trying to decide is if the coin is worth presenting it for grading. Having an idea of how often this actually occurs for this coin will help me with that. I know the Tyler dollar was issued in 2009. This particular coin was purchased in a lot of 100 circulated dollar coins in early 2010. The coin has been sitting in a piggy bank since then. If someone tried to pass it off as a fake, they didn't take the most profitable route. I'll look around for a local collector. Maybe they can answer my questions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having an idea of how often this actually occurs for this coin will help me with that

That would be almost impossible to know but I did read somewhere that it occurred less often on
John Tyler Dollars than the earlier runs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32579 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the retail value of a genuine one is at least $100 it might be worth having it graded and slabbed...up to you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't get it graded. In this condition, it wouldn't be worth more than maybe $50.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All that aside... did anyone notice the device holding the coin was a metal clamp?
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Old Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed it, several others did, too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43098 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin wear would drop the price drastically.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight won't tell you anything. The lettering is shallow enough that shaving down the edge won't move it out of the mint tolerance range.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05