Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

About This Forum And My Many Silver Dollar Submissions, Please Chime In

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1280 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think hfjacinto expressed my opinion perfectly.
If you spent 4 years acquiring them, you don't need them all graded this month. One a day will still get it done and allow for more in depth responses.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32579 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off,please don't shoot the messenger .
I rarely comment on grades because I am not that good at it. Here is my two cents,after posting 60 questions on grading, I would think you have a handle on how well you grade your own coin. At this point, try only posting coins that are giving you a lot of trouble grading. I hope I have not ruffled "anyones'" feathers.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 ..... No, I don't plan on shooting the messenger, and I'm still keeping score. I said I would go with the consensus and that needs another day at least to run.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20380 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"post your coins with gerbils and other rodents"

I must say I really don't like these topics much myself. There are literally 100s, if not 1000s of coins in those topics that absolutely deserve their own topics. But they get posted on page 116 and when page 117 rolls around they are barely looked at ever again.

I am scrutinizing new ones extremely carefully. Someone a few months ago actually started one "Post your damaged coins here!" Seriously? Hundreds of megabytes of images of damaged coins? We have that already all over the forum. I vaporized that one immediately. Another one attempted a few months back: "Post Your 'Almost A Fancy S/N'" Really?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1487 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Bobby no Gerbil coins?

Haha I really don't like them either. I mean I like gerbils just not coins with Gerbils :)
Edited by hfjacinto
02/17/2020 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 2 cents. Stop worrying about everyone else. Post away and you should be done in a month or two. Stop making post about posting too much and just do what you need to do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've viewed a number of the OP's dollars and have posted on several. I don't have any objection to those threads but I do get less interested with repetition. I'm hoping that the OP became a more discriminating buyer over time; if so the quality of the posted coins should improve. Keep 'em coming and we will see!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those newer collectors trying to get a feel for how to grade, something is to be learned by every coin posted for grading. Doesn't matter if 50 Morgans are posted by one person of 50 different people in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1487 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt newer collectors ever look at past grading examples. They don't look at every other road rashed coin post, it's all "look at my mint damaged penny that I found in a parking lot, that I drove over and a few other cars drove over and a dog did something on, yep this is mint damage, how much is it worth?" Shows picture of "penny" , 2nd post "oh by the way I cleaned my hands after touching the "penny"" shows another blurry "penny" picture.

The many posts about the coins to me have become like that. Without the dirty penny :)

Look I'm all for newbys getting grading advice but there has to be a reason for it, for example a higher grade is worth more money or is rarer. But when the coins are worth melt until high MS grades I don't see the value. Again -> Me, you could see value. Just my 2 cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there has to be a reason for it, for example a higher grade is worth more money or is rarer

The reason is to learn or if you are unsure. Making it all about money and only caring for "high value" coins is a good way to suck the fun out of the hobby. Almost as bad as people posting "spender" on an excited newbies post, does it hurt to let someone be excited? Do you really care if they keep a quarter because it is green?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1487 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The reason is to learn or if you are unsure. Making it all about money and only caring for "high value" coins is a good way to suck the fun out of the hobby

Im all for learning, I figured after 20, if you didn't learn, then there isn't much I can teach.

Quote:
Almost as bad as people posting "spender" on an excited newbies post, does it hurt to let someone be excited? Do you really care if they keep a quarter because it is green?

If it's a spender then it should be stated as such. Yes one should be told straight up it has no extra value. I have a few coins that have no extra value but I know they are spenders.

If the coin is green, one should be careful as it can spread to other coins, so they shouldn't keep it or keep it with other coins.

Look I'm in the minority here, like I prefaced before I'm ignoring the posts about grading the silver dollars and I bypass the main page as pages of grade my silver dollar are uninteresting but the OP asked for an opinion and I'm gladly giving it. If you don't agree that's totally fine, I'll call a spender a spender.
Edited by hfjacinto
02/18/2020 3:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3459 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you originally posted asking about this, I had said that I didn't think you'd have an issue if you posted say 5 coins a week. 5 a day is a lot more than that. I'd try to go back to some middle ground and cut down the frequency.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Im all for learning, I figured after 20, if you didn't learn, then there isn't much I can teach.

Every coin is different. How many marks, what kind of marks, luster, toning, strike, many things to consider. If it was easy to learn how to grade after looking at 20 coins of the same type, we'd all be experts. All I'm saying is, the more you look at and try to grade, the more it helps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1487 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All grading is subjective, just look at what everyone on here grades. And It's hard grading from pictures as lighting and the angle can change what one sees.

But I'm done. Like I stated several times before post what you want, if it interests me I'll comment if it doesn't I'll skip.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill chime in on this one, as I host MANY websites.

If the folks have no problem with the Hawaii guy posting multiple MANY and frequent posts, then its just a numbers game.

It is true the further down a post gets, the less likely a reply.

I had one that got buried, and I gave it a bump by replying to my own post, and bang, I got replies.

Just work within they system that is provided.

Apparently the guy broke no rules, so use what is available to you to make your post rise to the top again, (I suggest prime viewing time)

Don't take it personal, like I'm going away, just use the system and don't break the owner's rules.

Operate within the system, it's not personal.

I sure would hate to see a member go away for taking the system personally.

A LOT of things don't go our way in life, you just don't go, I'm taking my marbles and going home.

Give your post a bump, problem solved.

Just my 2 cents, :)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05