Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify Coin From Sunken Ship?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tswart2505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this coin It's supposed to of come from a sunken ship off the coast of Florida. It sure is an amazing looking coin. I have had it for many many yrs. If ya'll need better pics please let me know.
Thank you, Much Appreciated, Tammysue

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8598 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a silver "cob" to me, but I don't know much at all about these.
A size of your treasure would be helpful.
Might be what remains of a Spanish 8 reale coin.
This may be helpful:

Look at 1715 Plate Fleet, east coast of Florida
https://www.sedwickcoins.com/shipwreck_coins.htm
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1715_Treasure_Fleet
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/22/2020 1:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a silver cob from Mexico City and issued under King Philip V. Beyond that not much of the definitive identifying parts of the design were struck on the flan. Date range is from 1700 - 1733. Size comparison to a modern coin would help tell its denomination but I am guessing a one real.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tswart2505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, yes sorry I didn't think abt the size. It is abt 1"x1" I added a few pics from when I was measuring & didn't realize til now the Mark's actually line up, the cross on 1 side & the L shape also is straight thought that was neat. Don't forget I am a total amateur
Thank you, Tammysue

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tswart2505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a little bigger than a quarter
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8598 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More on "Cobs" https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoi...s.intro.html
I was unaware that they were cut from irregular bars and then stamped. I thought they were clipped to size.
Rather than size, weight is important in determining the denomination and they were made (cut) to be of accurate weight.
This area is a study all it's own isn't it? I learn something new everyday!

I still think I got lucky in guessing it is 1715 Plate Fleet, east coast of Florida.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tswart2505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your expertise!! You nailed it!! I don't really call that luck? That's really awesome I had no idea where to even start looking?
Very much Appreciated, Tammysue
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's about the size of a quarter, it's probably a 2 reales. It should weigh about 5-6 grams.

My understanding is that a known amount of molten silver was poured out on a flat surface to form a bar. To avoid having to use a scale, the bar was accurately cut in half by balancing at the center, then repeated. From photos I've seen (of a reassembled bar), each would produce 8 pieces, or cobs. The cobs were then hand hammered between two dies.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/05/2020 07:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The design is 1715 Fleet era Mexico - likely 4R size, perhaps 2R.

The pics are way too fuzzy to clearly call... but looking at the rim and overall mushiness of the surface (interpolating through the grainy pic quality), I'm leaning towards a cast repro. Many cast replicas/fakes exist of 1715 Fleet finds (even of lesser quality pieces such as this would be), beginning in the 1960s/early 1970s in the heyday of its salvage.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05