Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Wanted On 1958 D LWC Uncirculated Hoard

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add XR7GTDGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, haven't been in here a while. I have a hoard of uncirculated 1958 D pennies. The lot of ~2400 coins are all MS65+. I'd say 30% of them are MS67. No scratches or flaws.
I've only been collecting for about 7 years. I don't want to keep all of these, and don't want to give them away ($) for lack of experience.
What would you do with them as far as selling them?
I have many more years from the collection, just starting with this one, since I have searched them for errors.
Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3295 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one does not look like MS to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2771 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if they are ms67, it would be worth grading some I would be guessing....How have the coins been stored, and where were they obtained..
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XR7GTDGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a very good camera for photos, these have full mint luster and natural color. My pics just aren't very good. .
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XR7GTDGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were stored in clear tubes, I obtained a large coin hoard from a local person who inherited them and had no clue what they had. They filled up the cardboard books and then sold them to me. I was going to send some in for grading, seems they are closed for the pandemic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46074 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can see, this is hardly a 67. Much better pics needed.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ONLY if they are 67 would they be worth the effort of grading. At 65R they are a 6.00 coin. 67 they jump to 200. You need to be really sure about them or you will lose money that way. Unless you want to mess with selling the individually, it might behoove you to see if one of the TV dealers wants them.
Edited by smokeriderdon
03/25/2020 9:30 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XR7GTDGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered a much better camera today. All I have is cheap USB junk at the moment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the issue, you said you have 2400 coins of the same date, are you going to sell all 2400 coins? Because you will flood the market, there aren't 2400 people looking for 1958 D. This is what I would do. Pull out the MS67 (which the one pictured isn't one of them) and then see if you get enough to do a bulk submission. The other 2300 sell as rolls a few at a time. Personally to sell 2400 coins will take you a while (a long while ) unless you want to sell them as bulk and then you'll get 2-4 cents a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked the population report, there are only 181 MS 67 RD 1958 D, and I highly doubt that you have another 600. So chances are you maybe a few MS67 (like under 5) or none. I recommend you sell the whole lot as rolls. I doubt you'll recoup your cost by getting the ones you believe that are me 67. Also if you did by some crazy coin lottery win have 600 ms 67, the price on 1958 D in MS 67 would tank to probably $20. So chances are good that you don't have 600 ms 67 coins. And if you did have 600 you would probably lose money getting them slabbed and sold.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/25/2020 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1692 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a real nice MS-66 to me.

Problem is there is little demand now and the services are tight with high grades.

If you have any real high grades with attractive color it might be worth sending them in.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46074 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin cannot be graded accurately from these shaded pics, which do not show the surfaces clearly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2823 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I'll add is best of luck and can't wait for better photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32635 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to study up on grading,it could save you a lot of time and money https://www.PCGS.com/Photograde/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12961 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok , here is the thing with these coins . Everything is going to be depending on the grade of a few 58-D Lincolns . You need to be exact on the grade you give them . Going through 2400 pennies and grading them is not going to be an easy task . You may not even have the stamina to perform it with precise accuracy . I'm putting it this way because you have the potential of making some big bucks with 67's or even 68's . Your Call !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tbop there are no 68's in the PCGS population report so I highly doubt there will one in a pile also. Remember these are all in rolls or were in rolls. What are the chances of finding an MS 68 when the coins have been searched and jostled. Not trying to discourage the OP, but I am being realistic.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05