Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Charles II 1668 Crown Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 561Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  07:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Crowncollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, new to Forum. I bought this Charles II, 1668 crown on ebay. It is not completely round and therefore appears a smidgen small, 29g on kitchen scales. It has virtually no flange, but ok edge description and I am a little bit worried about it.
Are there any known fakes of this? Should I be worried? Obviously, cannot show it to anyone at mo cos of lock down.
Any thoughts gratefully received.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We have a part of the forum where collectors of UK coins hang out, so hopefully the moderators will move your post over there where the right experts can comment.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47873 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks natural enough. Hope someone with knowledge can help.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15121 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
740 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight fits out well. This coin looks totally kosher to me.

As far as roundness goes - it was a screw press coin (Milled) and whilst fairly round, it is not perfectly so - as it was not until the invention of steam powered presses in the late 1700s you got perfectly round coins.

The first in the UK were Cartwheel pennies and tuppence in 1797 and first silver coins were 1811 Bank Tokens. All GB coinage was perfectly round from 1816 onwards.

Your coin is a Charles II crown in Fair - fine (VG probably) condition. It is a 3rd bust (1666 - 1670) and on the edge will have in Latin - Decus et tutamen - anno regni (or regno) vicesimo.
It means - an amulet and a protection (To stop silver clipping) and Year of reign - 20, as Carolean silver counted his reign from 1649, the year his father was murdered and he was called the King in Scotland, rather than 1660, the tear he was restored in Great Britain.

Hope this helps.

The weight of 29 grams is on the low side, but a whole gram may have worn off through wear. The typical weight of crowns was 30.4 - 28.8 grams for this era.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
03/29/2020 09:17 am
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
hopefully the moderators will move your post over there
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crowncollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks to Princetane for your expertise and to everyone else for their warm welcome.
So the fact that the obverse has no real flange doesn't bother anyone?
I am really beginning to like the coin now!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16967 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen quite a few Charles 11 crowns over the years.
From pictures only, this one looks quite OK to me.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
374 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  05:35 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fine to me. The lack or flange is typical for Charles II Crowns - a function of both the screw press method of minting and the wear from circulation. Here is my 1668 Crown for comparison:

Learn More...
United States
86166 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfectly genuine piece in rather decent shape.

Head looks like it's a bit scruffed from improper storage - may want to let the piece lie out exposed to air for a bit so the somewhat brighter marks tone down a bit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47873 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats all around, nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
740 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And here is my 1670 Half crown for comparison - slightly better condition - but wear patterns are similar

I can see what the OP is hitting at, as my coin has a bit of sharper edge and I suspect either its because its a bit later and they had mastered the technology (My flangeless Anne Halfcrown puts paid to that), or its just this coin is Fine - or merely sometimes the planchet was too large.

This coin was 34.2mm and weighed 15.16 grams - a bit generous for the usual 33.5 and 14.8grams for a Half crown. On the other hand you may get one that is 32.8mm and weighing 13.6 grams.

It varies.

PS I have very few coins like this one - it was an expensive purchase earlier this year and my "Flagship coin" for my Half crown collections.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05