Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922-S Peace Dollar For Grading And Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
70 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone! Wanted your opinions on whether or not it's worth it to get this thing restored and graded..
The 22-S is already a hard coin to grade, so do you think this kind of toning would help it or hurt it?
Thanks for your input

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47863 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice MS coin, but I can't see enough of the surface detail on the reverse to make a good evaluation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2019 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks high AU to me, but hard to say for sure. Probably not worth restoring.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, PCGS would call the reverse toning "splotchy" and treat it as a negative (up to -1 point on grading). If the toning is deeply embedded in the coin, restoration would run the risk of detailing the coin as a 91 or 92 code.

Like @Coinfrog, I can't get a good enough feel for the surface to have an opinion on the technical grade. If the coin is UNC and could reach 65, it might be worth conservation. The 1922-S is a condition rarity, and there is a good price disparity between a 64 and a 65 (and a ridiculous one between 65 and 66).
Valued Member
Japan
70 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys. If it could reach 65 it's definitely worth conservation! The hair/tiara/toning on the obv. looks amazing imo, so hopefully PCGS would be able to salvage the reverse..
(or NCS? Still thinking about the choices)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3458 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to remove the skin/toning/etc from this coin. Will always look splotchy.

Quite possible this coin was dripped and not rinsed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1223 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely toned Peace dollars are rare and almost always come with that 'crackled' look that this piece has.
Thankfully, the money side (the obverse) is kind of cool......I would leave it as is, a nice original coin.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grumpy56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse is really nice. I would not mess with it and I think it is worth getting slabbed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning on the coin looks original and rainbow toning on Peace dollars brings a premium. Do not send the coin in for conservation. I agree with Frog that from your photos the coin is not gradable, but it looks like it could be AU. If you can get a straight MS grade from NGC or PCGS, you have made a nice score. Does the coin have any luster?
Valued Member
Japan
70 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it has some good luster. Hardly any noticable dings but only surface scratches. The S mint seems to have this sandy texture even on the 66+, so I'm not sure how much they would count against it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8662 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS shows 2279 grade at MS64 and 436 grade at 65. my best guess is that the reverse weakness and a little lower eye appeal it would come in at MS64 or 64+
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at your most recent obverse photo, I notice scratches at the truncation of the neck, back of the neck, and into the hair. Even if these are superficial, I think they hold the obverse to a 64. I still don't have a feel for the reverse.

My concern is that if it starts as a technical 64, the eye appeal adjustment could knock it to a 63, and that would be extremely harsh for this coin. Your coin is better than that.

FWIW, I think you could do better selling it raw on a bourse floor. (If we ever have coin shows again, someday.) I could see it selling as a straight 64 on a floor, maybe with some price quibbling as an eye appeal adjustment.

There is heavy downward pressure in the coin market right now, as a result of the stock market and commodities collapse and looming recession / depression. Nobody knows how long or how deep this down-cycle will go. Finding any buyer right now may be tough.

That's a long-winded way of saying that this one is around $200 on the books at MS-64, but might be difficult to market over $125-$140 right now. My advice would be (1) don't slab it, (2) don't conserve it, (3) sit tight and wait for the market to stabilize and come back, and (4) show it around bourse floors once the market starts to recover. Being patient in a tough market is hard, but I think it would pay off for you. This is a decent coin, and holding on for a better price might be your best move right now.

JMHO.
Valued Member
Japan
70 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't agree with you more, fortcollins! Thank you for such a considerate response. It's a neat-looking piece that's in pretty good condition considering it's type, which could definitely become overshadowed by a number and a slab (Not that there's anything wrong with those things).
But I can tell that you're my kind of coin collector!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05