Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Box Of Penny Rolls, First Roll Out, This Is The Ender.. Value?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 3,146Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearer images would be nice but markers on this "mirror" image appear to match the ones in the full obverse and reverse.
Obverse rim ding under the bust and the dark shading around VDB.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though the odds aren't that great, it is still possible to find a 1909 S VDB. Could of been part of a collection dump or someone just didn't know any better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember this time last year, the US was ramping up for the Great American Coin Hunt. I thought I read it was supposed to occur again at the end of April this year, at least until this COVID-19 virus hit.
A leftover from last year or early start this year before our social distancing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2929 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think even the OP's name is part of the joke (DoesThisCount). I'm not buying this whole thing from beginning to end, and I'm done with it.

ša va bien aller
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thank you to everyone else who gave there insight and praise ill let you all know what grade it gets when I get it back. Any preferences on who I should have grade it? Thanks again
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover, how do you know that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2929 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Merclover, how do you know that?

Female instincts? I have always had luck trusting my gut.
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would send a well-known variety like this one to ANACS. It costs less with no fees for joining, ID is easier to see in the ANACS slab and will still sell well when the time comes. It should come back as a "Details" graded coin.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow so much disbelief. I sure hope it comes back as authentic!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3499 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP cannot prove to us that the coin in question came in a roll. In fact, more to the point, none of us can prove any CRH find to the CCF based on photographs.

None of us can even prove ownership of any coin based on information supplied to the CCF, with the possible exception of slabbed coins in registry sets.

The CCF can reliably identify and establish authenticity, but cannot determine ownership or a sequence of events.

The event described is obviously extremely improbable, while the likelihood of the OP pulling our collective legs is much much greater. While we can speculate all we want, in the end we don't know for sure.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something that can never be proven to as stated. But reading this post yesterday, I had a dream last night that I found a S VDB coin roll hunting. Lol. No joke.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didnt think how I found the coin was really that big of a deal or that unbelievable, hasnt every non proof coin ever been initially found in rolls or pocket change?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2153 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didnt think how I found the coin was really that big of a deal or that unbelievable, hasnt every non proof coin ever been initially found in rolls or pocket change?

Anything's possible. That includes finding a 1909-s VDB in a roll. Having said that, finding one on the end of the roll moves it from being highly unlikely to nearly impossible.
Edited by trdhrdr007
04/01/2020 11:15 am
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could of been part of a collection dump or someone just didn't know any better.
True.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2001 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oriole posted this a few months ago:

Quote:
The United States has issued, probably, about 500 billion 1 cent coins. If the 1909S VDB were distributed randomly in the lot (which they are not, of course), your odds of finding one would be about 1 in a million. Given losses and the efforts of millions of collectors looking for one, even imagining that 1 in a 1000 are still truly in circulation would be very optimistic. At that ratio you would need to search 1 billion coins to find one. If you could search a box a day, say 1 million per year, after 1000 years you would find one.

Low odds, I would say.

So for it to be the coin at the end of a roll it would be 1 in 50 billion.

So again the chance of this being a "real" find is not probable. This is either an "April Fools" joke (very likely like >99%) or a collector did this on purpose (highly unlikely but more probable than a random find <1%). I don't know about you but I won't put a 1909 S VDB into the wild.

As Carl Sagan once said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Or we have:

Quote:
Occam's razor is more commonly described as 'the simplest answer is most often correct,' although this is an oversimplification. The 'correct' interpretation is that entities should not be multiplied needlessly.

Researchers should avoid 'stacking' information to prove a theory if a simpler explanation fits the observations. Occam's razor is the process of paring down information to make finding the truth easier.

In science, it is getting rid of all the assumptions that make no difference to the predictions of the hypothesis. If you have a few hypotheses that could explain an observation, it is usually best to start with the simplest one.

And in this case the best solution is that a first time poster is playing a trick on us.

But I think it maybe a regular ((I bet if we checked IP address, he is a regular), playing a joke. Well Happy Aprils Fool. I'm going to put the 1877 IHC I got back in change into my album.
Edited by hfjacinto
04/01/2020 11:53 am
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 3,146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05