Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1864 Double Struck Two Cent Piece With Indent ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 401Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cefus126 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks to b struck a few times not sure but def would like to know more and what is the hole in the coin

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cefus126 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to have a coin collector look at it he said was nothing but then tried buying it
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We would need much better pixs to tell anything about your coin.....
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cefus126 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin I found wrapped in letter from my grandmother who died a parent her brother collected rare coins

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cefus126 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and post more pic apparently my pics aren't loading right
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cefus126 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures aren't very clear, but I don't see any sign of doubling. The hole is just damage to the coin.
Learn More...
United States
86189 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7242 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pictures aren't very clear, but I don't see any sign of doubling. The hole is just damage to the coin.

I have looked at tens of thousands of Two Cent Pieces over many decades, even from these photos I don't see anything that would say doubled or premium value as to an error.

There are a few hub doubled 1867 Two Cent Pieces all are on the obverse and only one is anything to get excited about. The big one where the MOTTO (In God We Trust) is doubled, you can also see doubling on the arrow heads and shafts easily.

As to 1864? Yes there are a couple of doubled hub coins as well, but they have a much, much smaller doubling than this example, you almost need a 7x magnifier to see any of the doubling.

Then here would be a double struck coin; it would look something like this one, they are extremely rare. In my searching out two cent varieties over the past 35 years or so, I have only seen a few, definitely less than 5 total. All of them the coin is struck off center the second time. Most just show a very small area of the second strike, this example is one of the more prominent ones.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
04/01/2020 10:52 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05