Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Silver Dollar Sent To ANACS, Guess Grade?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2008  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 details cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
5033 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2008  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it actually meets the requirements for EF-40 as described and pictured in the PCGS Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection guide (second edition). However, I agree with HABIB that it probably has been cleaned. If ANACS is putting net grades on slabs these days, I'd vote for "EF details, cleaned, net VF-30".

I also see a slight rim bruise at about 9:30 on the obverse. That might be severe enough to be noted as damage by ANACS.

Of course, the worst possible "bad news" would be that the coin has been altered. Fake 1889-CC Morgans are usually made by adding the CC to a Philadelphia coin. Your coin looks OK but a detailed inspection of the mintmark would be necessary to confirm authenticity.

So, what's the "bad news"?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2008  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't tell me they didn't grade it and they are getting tough on there grading standards regards Harry
Edited by nuggethill
10/31/2008 12:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2008  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we have some winners, and very good skills to I might add.1ST the grade came in a VF 35, I was hoping EF+. THE OTHER NEWS IS IT CAME BACK A VF 35 VAM 2A,this is good, the VAM is a sweet one.Now the bad news, the full grade reads*VAM 2A CLEANED, VF 35-DETAILS.To all who took part you know how well you did. I personally was thinking EF 40, not cleaned.I spoke to the person I won this from(EBAY) AND "HE ALSO HAD NO CLUE AS TO IT BEING CLEANED" w/e.Still all in all this is a nice coin and I did well in the auction, I was just wanting this to be as it was described in the auction-
1889-ccEF+++( I bought it raw).Lesson learned here, look long and hard and look again at the coins you want to have in your collection. BE WELL, MORGANS DAD...
PS: HARRY, I GUESS IT COULD OF BEEN WORSE!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2008  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good news Dad as it is now graded
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2008  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Harry, my sentiments exactly, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2008  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the notion that it might have come back either at EF or close to EF, but F-15 was my what-I-would-hope-to-pay net grade. Based on the cleaning VF-35 is a good compromise, I suppose I would net grade a bit higher than F-15 but unless the VAM (sweet one by the way) was dear to me, I would hope not to pay big VF money for it. There is almost a burnished retoning or sheen that after you see it enough times fairly screams "I have been cleaned" so that aspect was not a great surprise. Still in all a very nice coin, and nicer for that date than any I have owned.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2008  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35 - cleaned IMO
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2008  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm.....posted before I read page 2.

Guessed it right. Typical of ANACS. Didn't guess the VAM as I am not very informed on that end of grading to well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2008  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MY FRIENDS, hello, and you all did well. I was just not happy because I was told when I bought the coin it was an EF+++, now you see why I am not happy, and the seller I told about the problem and he suggests I sell him the coin back for what I paid, or he will sell it on ebay for me, as long as I pay his associated fees.I feel this is a slap in the face or salt on an open wound, he promised one thing and after a professional grading compant grades if VF 35 CLEANED, he than tells me "no dealer can grade a coin, and know the difference between VF 35 OR EF 40"". I am not a fool and feel he should be held accountable for the difference.I was not born yesterday, however I do not appreciate people mistaken kindness for stupidity. lesson to be learned, check all coins and such very carefully when buying on ebay...MORGANS DAD... PS:JERRYb, welcome to the forumn, enjoy!
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2008  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi morgans dad,
I know the feeling! I got taken on eBay a couple of times. Most of the sellers I have dealt with have been good about refunding a portion of the price to compensate. In the long run though, I think the cherry picked finds and a couple top 40 vams average things out. I agree it is a good lesson learned, check all ebay coins carefully and if its too good to be true it probably is. Now I pretty much just bid really low, if it slips past everyone and I win, I'm a happy camper. I end up losing about 75% of what I bid on but the other 25% that I win I'm very happy with.
-Zac
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2008  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
he than tells me "no dealer can grade a coin, and know the difference between VF 35 OR EF 40

True, differentiating between VF35 and EF40 on a consistent basis can be difficult. However, calling a VF35 coin "EF+++" implies that the coin is just a hair from AU which is obviously not the case. An experienced grader should never call that coin EF+++ since it is obviously not. That difference is not a matter of opinion, it would be a matter of grading experience and knowledge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2008  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist6, I agree with your statement that grading a coin is difficult as to it is a VF 35 OR EF +++, when you are like I am "not a professional grader"but a dealer of thousands of coins a year for years, this is not an acceptable answer. I was told one thing, from someone I trusted and it turned out, after ANACS graded it, to be not what was promised.I do not know if you remember the postthat someone made, not long ago, I think it was titled"MORGANSRMINE THIS ONE IS FOR YOU.Well that post was a picture of "an entire Morgan silver dollar set", and the seller was asking $164,000.00 or something like that for the set. Well he is the person who sold me this coin.BEWARE... MORGANS DAD...PS: THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY SEEM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2008  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have every right to not be happy if you purchased it for an EF uncleaned price. I don't think you can expect him to offer you anything other than a full refund.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2008  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add repair7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05