Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Laquered Ns 1/2 Cent - To Strip Or Not To Strip...?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  

Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  6:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I was wondering if something can be done with laquered copper tokens or coins. Having 'Laquered' written on the holder depreciates the value somewhat. I really don't want to pay to send it to a Pro Coin-cleaning company so looking for alternative ways. Or to simply leave the coin alone and not chance it.

Was wondering if an acetone bath would remove the laquer but I'm a little worried about the condition afterwards and how that might affect the coin and/or a grading. I also heard mineral spirits, then acetone, then a quick air dry might be better.

Any thoughts/advice ?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48118 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't think that an acetone soak could hurt. It may or may not be strong enough to remove a lacquer from that era. Should not affect the color. Whatever you do, do not rub the coin in any way - just let it soak for a few hours, then rinse.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog - I'm going to baby this baby. I guess I could do acetone and if in doubt, move up to mineral spirits then back to acetone to purify it. Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48118 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that fails, lacquer thinner will almost certainly work. Use outdoors.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1658 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please wait for a top end copper person to respond. (no offense coinfrog) I will pm Bosox.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48118 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense taken or sure. Just my opinion based on experiences in similar cases. The coin will appear much less bright, of course.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/03/2020 7:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6272 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone cannot meddle with the metal of your "medal."

Just make sure it is pure. You can even use the 2.00 bottle of pure acetone found in the healthcare products area of Walmart.

The only thing I have ever heard a negative about using acetone was a post on this forum (sorry I have no link) from someone saying penny being soaked in acetone in direct sunlight might sometimes result in a faint pink coloring. I have not seen this myself, but have never used acetone on coins while in direct sunlight either.

Here is a great link to read concerning coin conservation from our own BadThad:
http://goccf.com/t/39932

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason that we, in this day and age, have "red" BU coins is that they were lacquered early on. I'd leave the lacquer on .. that's what is keeping the air off it that starts sometimes ugly toning. There's nothing wrong with it right now.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17001 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone says (including me) that an acetone soak will not hurt.
Nevertheless, the color of this coin has been preserved by the lacquer coating it already has.

Why not just leaved it preserved as it is? The coating has served it well so far.

Lacquer is softer than the metal underneath. That means the lacquer coating has to be protected as well.
Put this coin between two small clear plastic** acetate sheets, and put the whole lot into a standard Mylar / cardboard 2x2.

** Recovered from food packaging (clean first).

Potential value of this coin not high enough, to cover shipping and grading fees, despite nice condition and eye appeal.

Do (almost nothing) in this case, = lots cheaper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with the acetone group.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1579 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have removed lacquer from a lot of copper coins, including one quite valuable one that came back from PCGS as solo highest graded. So done correctly there is nothing to fear.

I suspect that this one will do well with lacquer removal. The lustre will likely "pop" when the lacquer is removed. The reverse may turn out to be a really pretty bright red. The obverse darkness may be lacquer discolouaration too if you are lucky.

You want to watch out for lacquered coins with scratched or damaged lacquer. It allows for random bits of the underlying coin to tone. You may end up with a strange speckled coin as a result. I think you are safe in this case.

Do be careful with acetone. It can mess with red copper and leave a strange resulting colour. There are lots of threads on acetone here. Use short dips and a light Q-tip swirl to get the lacquer out of the devices. Do a short (as in 5 or 10 seconds) dip in acetone. Then dip in distilled water to remove the acetone and see how you are doing. Repeat as necessary. When done put the coin on a towel to absorb the water. No rubbing!
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks guys for all the replies. I'll post a comparison photo if I decide to take a dive into the acetone.

@Earle42 - Thanks for the link, will check it out before doing anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3196 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After the lacquer is removed from the acetone bath, I would dip it again in a "fresh" batch of acetone,(because when removed from first bath you will have dissolved lacquer that will stick back on the coin when the acetone evaporates) then distilled H20 and air dry....Oh and yes Very nice coin...
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05