Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Cartwheel Pennies Real?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,426Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  03:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MonoJoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The condition seems a bit too good to be true. They are in my dad's collection and now he's gone I can't ask where he sourced them. I know he spoke a lot about them as they're quite a large, heavy coin. He rarely bought "fakes" but he might have got stooged, he once tried to tell me the 1937 penny he had in his collection was real and came from a guy at the local markets LOL. But anyway, any tips on verifying them would be appreciated. As stated they are very heavy if that makes any difference. Also, the front and rear images are 180 degrees out - if you rotate them horizontally the other side image is upside down. Hope that makes sense :)

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17305 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cartwheel Penny should weigh 28.35 grams, the Twopenny twice that.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
777 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  05:30 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might want to ask the Brits in the forum if they can tell if counterfeit, there is a UK section under the world section.

As far as I can tell probably good, however ive never held one in hand mostly just pictures. heard they can be very common in low ding up condition however in very good grades XF+ they can be extremely hard to find.
Edited by ryurazu
05/21/2020 05:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
637 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel that the anomalies in the lettering on both coins are a cause for concern!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing that to both a 2 pence and 1 pence I have, I don't notice any obvious differences.
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
their condition isn't really that great, nothing jumps out saying fake.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21342 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No red flags, they look genuine to me.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7509 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No red flags, they look genuine to me.

Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my very limited knowledge of these, I'd say they look ok to me.
Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MonoJoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, the weight checks out, both come up at 57g so that's a good start.

As far as condition I really struggle at grading coins, but again, that's an indication they're real as the old man wouldn't have spent big dollars acquiring them.

I will see if I can get some more info from the British coin forum.

Cheers.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
384 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine 100% ;)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  03:42 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look perfectly genuine to me, and twopences rather than pennies at 57g each. They are surprisingly common in the UK - they were only made for one year and a lot were put aside as souvenirs or for use as weights (exactly 2 ounces). The penny is actually scarcer in good condition as that circulated until 1860 and so got a lot more wear.
Yours are fairly typical above average condition. They do turn up much more worn or with massive bruises on the edges. (Being copper and heavy they damage easily when dropped.) In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.
Here is mine for comparison:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
637 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being an Aussie I'm am by no means an expert when it comes to your cartwheel pennies but I am surprised as I've never seen them before such undefined lettering e.g.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
189 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are Twopences and real.An easy indicator to tell from a picture is on the Twopence the middle trident prong points to the N and on the penny to a gap.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant tell 100% from your pictures but the S does look a little strange to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
501 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Ignore these doubts, they're genuine.
You don't get digs and verdigris on coins struck yesterday.
Any Brit collector can spot faked cartwheels at 100 paces.
Edited by Hogarth
05/26/2020 03:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05