Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 S Cent, How Do You Determine A Chip Planchet From PMD "Hammer Job"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 320Next Topic  
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  02:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Okay I'll stop for the night. Don't want to clog up post with to many things at once!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine clipped planchets generally have what is called a Blakesley Effect. This can be absent on large clips. A second thing to look for is fadeout or distortion in the design elements near the clip. Not sure if that is one or not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33554 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Use search box,upper left of page for lots of info.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16966 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bit hard to say with the wear on this coin, but my suspicion leans towards clipped coin, not a clipped planchet.

Cannot see any sign of the Blakesley Effect on either side of the coin in this case.
The clip is sufficiently big enough for it to show up, if it was a clipped planchet.
Learn More...
United States
15991 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sgc, can you please also post a pic of the edge in this region of interest? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

The coin is neither a hammer job nor a clipped planchet. The coin appears to be a Chinese counterfeit.

First, the coin does not have coin orientation, and very nearly has medal orientation. The obverse shows the purported clip at 9:00-10:00. With coin orientation, the reverse should have the clip at 3:00-4:00. The reverse on this one shows the purported clip at 8:00-9:00.

Second the fours in the date are wrong. In the 1940s, all eleven fours in the dates are different, including each four in a 1944. A genuine 1944 cent has a pointed first four with a squared top and blunt second four with a rounded top, with SW-NE cambered end crossbars. The two fours align at the bottom of the crossbar. Your coin shows misaligned matching fours with squared crossbars.

Third, the purported obverse-reverse strike quality and wear are uneven.

Fourth, the color is way off, suggesting chemical treatment to age the surface.

The Chinese have counterfeited a staggering number of purported error coins, ranging from a comically wrong 1955 DDO, to an off-center 1955 DDO, to an off-center 1951-D, to several fake 1943 copper and 1944 steel cents, to an off-center 1937 Buffalo nickel. I believe this is another example of their persistence.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. Wow Fortcollins you get all that from two pic that's incredible! It's strange but I guess someone recognized it as such and tossed it back in to one of the 5,000 count bags I bought years ago. If I may ask Where did you acquire such knowledge? I read popular coin books and probably open them four or five time a day as I sell, Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, The Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coin, Cherrypickers Guide 5th edition Vol. 1 and 2, and my latest addition is The RPM Book 2nd edition. Nothing much about orientation or differing numbers in dates found in these books. Please tell me, where do I study that kind of information?
Spence, I will get a Rim pic to you after I pack last nights eBay sales.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4069 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First, the coin does not have coin orientation, and very nearly has medal orientation. The obverse shows the purported clip at 9:00-10:00. With coin orientation, the reverse should have the clip at 3:00-4:00. The reverse on this one shows the purported clip at 8:00-9:00.

Not sure I follow this, It should be the opposite of what you described, no?

If I pinch a coin at about 9-11 and flip it without moving my fingers, my other finger is at about 6-8. That's consistent with this coin.
Edited by Adam_E
05/23/2020 1:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47860 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I was thinking.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,
Here are couple pics of Rim, sorry I don't have the best camera equipment!

Learn More...
United States
14401 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.

Please review the forum section descriptions, so posts are made in the correct section.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44340 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a straight clip. Note the edge is not even like it was cut, because it wasn't. The blank was cut over the edge of the stock material. I see weakness near the affected area of the devices. Weakness on the reverse showing the Blaksley affect there. I feel this is a genuine error coin. I'm surprised it took so long to be out there in circulation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 320Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05