Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Collection Software Recommendation?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,245Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  09:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Larry Gosnell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin Collecting Software recommendation for hobby level at a reasonable price? I've tried the free OpenNumismat software and it's ok but would like something better.

Appreciate it
Larry G
Pillar of the Community
5120 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use CoinManage.

K99yRLIQm_c
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you that use coin management databases, what do you store? Just the key dates or do you store all the coins. For example if you have the Mercury dimes, do you just track the 16D and 1921 and 1921 D or all the coins?
Pillar of the Community
5120 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For those of you that use coin management databases, what do you store? Just the key dates or do you store all the coins. For example if you have the Mercury dimes, do you just track the 16D and 1921 and 1921 D or all the coins?

You're not storing, you're entering data.

Why would you buy a coin database to just enter key dates?
You can do that with paper and pencil.

What do you mean track? You are entering your entire inventory. The denominations, numbers of each coin the dates, conditions and prices.

Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use US Coin SaintSoft LLC. Very good for Apple. I think it can be used for both Mac and PC. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/us-coin/id649601359
Pillar of the Community
United States
4726 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use a spreadsheet (I use Excel). Most people have one.
Then you can have your inventory include whatever info you want.
And you can add/delete/modify the contents whenever you want.
You can even include links to any images you made of the coins.

And since it's highly likely that you already have the software, it's free.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
05/27/2020 11:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ USSID18...Can you also list/record mint sets into the CoinManage program or do you need to list coins individually ?
Pillar of the Community
5120 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ USSID18...Can you also list/record mint sets into the CoinManage program or do you need to list coins individually ?

You can customize your entries and create your own listings; ie; mint sets, proof sets, commemoratives etc...

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Larry Gosnell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess $40.00 is about the going price for CoinManage 2020 and somehow it updates price guide twice a year. Sounds pretty neat and affordable.
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Use a spreadsheet (I use Excel). Most people have one.
Agreed.

I have been using a spreadsheet since the late 1980s. Mine started on a Commodore 64. It works in Windows and Linux now.

By the way, if you cannot afford Excel/Office365/Microsoft365 you can get LibreOffice for free.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Excel... This is how I set up the columns...

Year Coin - Mint - Coin Desc - Finish - Denomination - Condition - Metal - Purchase Date - Purchased From - Cost - Cert Company - Serial #

So a sample would look like this (not a real entry)

1989 - W - American Eagle - Proof - $1 - PF70 - MS - 100% Silver - 5/10/89 - John Doe Coins - $60 - NGC - 1234567.900

This has worked well for me...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This has worked well for me...

I really believe all should consider giving the spreadsheet solution a try before spending money on anything else.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I have been using it from day one almost and I DO NOT know how to use it all trial and error mostly error. But it does work good.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Larry Gosnell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't want to have to figure out how to create an excel spreadsheet from scratch when I've never used the excel program much and unexperienced with it. I would rather have a plug and play type format ready to go, enter data with pictures with built-in supporting database on all usa coins.
Edited by Larry Gosnell
05/27/2020 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and Thank You Larry for bring up this topic
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want to have to figure out how to create an excel spreadsheet from scratch when I've never used the excel program much and unexperienced with it
That is understandable. I tend to overestimate the general public's exposure to spreadsheet software.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05