Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 One Cent Variety - Another Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 996Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone. I hope all is well. I'm also hoping someone can definitively tell me which Type this 1965 One Cent is. Its tricky to see, well it is for me. Please view the following pictures.

Edited by numisnut1960
06/01/2020 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
799 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a small bead/blunt five.

Cheers, Bill
Learn More...
Canada
9141 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48848 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree as well.

to the CCF!
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. Now I have another question or two. This 1965 one cent is in a 6 coin PL set in plyofilm which apparently includes a Small Bead Pointed 5 Silver Dollar. According to the 2020 Charlton Catalogue volume one on page 64 this one cent coin is a variety #2. However, the 2020 Charlton Catalogue Volume 2 page 493 claims that only Type 1 or Type 3 are assembled in the 1965 PL sets. Am I missing something here? Check the pictures please.

Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is a mistake in Charlton Vol 2.
In Vol.1 in One Cent section Charlton says that V1(SBP5), V2(SBB5), and V3(LBB5) all are available in PL.
V2 (SBB5) is the cheap one. Most of 1965 PL sets that I have seen contain this type of 1 cent.
Charlton also prices PL V1 double of PL V3, though in my experience V3 is scarcer. But that could be just my luck :-)
Learn More...
Canada
9141 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have examined thousands of sets, and I have never seen a Type 1 PL strike.

The 1965 1-cent specimen strike is Type 2.

The Type 3 PL 1-cent is pretty scarce, and is undervalued in my opinion. If that ever gets in the PCGS and NGC Proof-like 1-cent Registry, that might drive demand.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ought to clarify/correct my previous post.
I do not own 1965 PL set with type 1 cent, neither have I seen one in my hand.
What I saw was a few Type 1 cents with polished fields, well defined rims, and cameo. They looked very much PL-like.
Based on what spp-ottawa said, now I think they were just very good business strikes from a new die.
PL set with type 3 cent is currently available from Colonial Acres. They have 4 in stock.
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got the 1965 set with T3 1 cent. But the 1 cent coin does not look PL. I bet that if it is removed from pliofilm and sent to a TPG it would come back as MS63/64 (yes, the coin quality is low).
Thus, it is just a packaging issue when they ran out of PL coins and used a business strike instead. It is not even an error, technically, because RCM has never claimed the sets to be anything but uncirculated.
Now I am back to the question: does 1965 1c T3 PL exist or not?
Or is it PL by the virtue of pliofilm packaging?
Just curious, if a TPG received it for grading in the intact set, would they grade it PL or MS?
Learn More...
Canada
9141 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a good photo of it here.

(and yes, 1965 1c T3 PL do exist)

My eBay store
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is hard to get a decent image through pliofilm.
I need better equipment :-)

Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And a slightly tilted photo with less glare to show the rim

Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collector67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a SB Pt5 that I pulled from a PLset
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it look like a PL or a business strike?
It seems that those coins are better be kept in the set.
Please see above the post by spp-ottawa at 06/02/2020 9:17 pm
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collector67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collector67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I removed it from the set years ago, and realized after I should have left it in place.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 996Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05