Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Price Threshold Of Pain

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,390Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$500, and if the wind is blowing just right on the day of the purchase, you can likely hear me bellowing for miles...

("do you hear a lady sobbing?"

"no, that's pink, he just bought another expensive Lincoln Wheat cent."

"ehhh, how is it possible to hear him in wichita? isn't he in key west?"

"it was a '14-D XF."

"ahhh....")

Learn More...
United States
87702 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just remind myself it was money not spent on worse vices.
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
truly.

i almost voted $100, but I drop $100 purchases pretty frequently, sometimes without thinking.

I've made several $500+ purchases over time, but considering what they were I'm satisfied with them. they don't come around often, so I pounced. one thing I've had to learn regarding numismatic acquisitions greater than $500: have no regrets. if I think I'm going to regret having made that acquisition, I refrain from making it. the pain threshold is a well-defined line for me.

(interestingly, I'm pretty sure there were numerous high-dollar acquisitions I never made & regretted over the years, but you know what? I can't recall them now! lol..)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I voted $100 but I normally don't go over $30.
Same. In fact I hardly ever go over $15 unless it's really rare and/or a large silver.

Technically, the most I've ever paid for a single coin was $70, but that was back in 2011, when rubles went twice as far. The most I've ever paid for a single coin after the 2014 exchange rate crash was about $30.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying mint state graded coins from the later 1930s into the early 1940s requires a higher threshold. I chase $500. I went significantly over that buying the 1938-D Half Dollar, but all other mostly MS-66 coins were below the $500 threshold.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted $100, although I have spent over that amount for an individual coin on a few occasions. Realistically, given how small my coin budget is, anything over $50 is painful because it will set me back for a while.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17075 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be happy to pay $10,000 for a Ptolemaic octadrachm, but that would be about my limit.
At that limit, I would still be confident that my kids would happy to sell it to their profit after I die.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shooligan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted $100. I am more comfortable with the under $100 purchases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4764 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I had to go with $5000, but only because I recently purchased the final "key date" coin on my bucket list and it was the most expensive coin I've ever purchased at $4475.00. Usually, I go to a big coin show once a year and spend close to that amount spread out among a wide variety of coins and notes, but since the coin show got cancelled this year due to Covid-19, I decided to spend my entire yearly budget on a coin I found on eBay:

[I had budgeted $2000-3000 just for this coin alone previously, but when I saw this example I couldn't resist spending more to get it.]

I wouldn't say my collecting days are over, but I've managed to finish all the goals I set out to finish. Except, of course, for continuing the never-ending quest to upgrade my 7070 album with better coins...

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Edited by barryg
06/12/2020 6:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one fantastic walker!! Money well spent IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barry,

I love your collection , believe me I drool, but this is me, I would never pay that much. It's nice but it's not what I would get. I'm happy for you and happy you got the coin you wanted! But there are so many more coins I would get for $4500.
Learn More...
United States
87702 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recently purchased the final "key date" coin on my bucket list
Excellent!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
109 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3 people here have voted that they would spend $100000 on a coin...then there's me who doesn't even have close to that amount in my entire life savings

Would be interesting to hear from these people about what coin they'd purchase for that (assuming they were actual votes and not people having a laugh).
Edited by Collector28
06/13/2020 06:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then there's me who doesn't even have close to that amount in my entire life savings
You must have a lot of life savings. I don't think mine are up to $10000 yet.

(My family's entire life savings might be that large, though even then I'm not very sure.)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
109 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@january1may - I said I don't have close to that amount, implying my life savings are nowhere near $100000
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05