Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Did This Happen To These 1981 Proof Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 934Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Japan
84 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  03:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys. I picked up this set of brown proofs recently and wanted to know how it happened. The seal has never been broken, but could this be the cause of direct sunlight while still in the plastic?
I tried searching for that specifically but with no results. The surfaces are grainy with parallel lines darting across the entirety.
Looks really neat, even if they are rotten.
Thanks for your help!

Pillar of the Community
United States
7112 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure, but I kinda like them
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  03:55 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be from heat/sunlight exposure. The plastic may have outgassed and caused the coins to tone. The red plastic insert even looks faded and warped.

Any one else?
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34285 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some kind of poor storage condition,maybe even water damage?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1996 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Improper storage. Like on a sunny window, in the attic, garage or damp basement. This is user error, someone didn't properly store this hence you get a somewhat cool looking toning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1438 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it looks like the proof set was submerged in water, and then placed in sunlight for an extended period to dry out. That would explain the contaminants in contact with the coins and the faded and warped appearance of the insert.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof sets are not air tight, so improper storage conditions can allow for toning
Pillar of the Community
United States
4726 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some kind of poor storage condition,maybe even water damage?

My thinking exactly.

A possibility that should to be taken into consideration: water damage from flooding.
Hurricane zips through and floods everything.
Or tornadoes. Or ...!
Those holders aren't completely sealed; moisture can get in.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the observations above. I like the set--would pick one up at a show or coin shop if I came across it. Cool.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like this petri dish full of bacteria.
Valued Member
Japan
84 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input everyone! I was thinking about cracking it open to examine them more closely but after seeing Blind Squirrel's bacteria picture I think they'll stay where they are :p
Valued Member
Japan
84 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On second thought, I think I'll crack 'em eventually anyway... It'll be fun to figure out how this mini laboratory was created. I couldn't find any other coins online that resembled these so it may be useful.
Pillar of the Community
5120 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above comments. I would just leave it the way it is. I like the look! !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a nice type II (clear S) proof set at one time.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, not airtight and then environmental damage.
Valued Member
Japan
84 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of curious about something. I can't shake the feeling that some kind of foreign chemical was to blame for this, as opposed to just heat and water. Of course, I was thinking the same thing but realized the outside plastic and black casing is still jet black with shiny lettering. Outside casings are in great shape. It's only the coins and red plastic that seems disrupted.
Edited by Stephen-P
06/08/2020 07:12 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 934Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05