Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plans For 2021 ATB Quarter Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 807Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  5:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 2021 America the Beautiful Quarter ( ATB) honoring the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site will be the only ATB issued next year. What are the US Mint's plans with the 2021 quarter (e.g., different finishes, different packaging, etc.) and what does the future hold for the Washington quarter after the ATB series ends?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've known that the reverse of the quarter is going to be Washington crossing the Delaware. Discussion of the design candidates is here: http://goccf.com/t/358016

As for packaging and finishes? I would expect a single release not unlike the Innovation dollars, but not any special finishes. There's nothing particularly special about the last in this series except that it happens to be the last in this series.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they will run that reverse issue all year and it will have a massive mintage vs. All the other designs.

And start the Washington Delaware design in 2022.

Just speculation of course,but it's plausible. I have no idea why they didnt just make 6 issues for 2020 and move on for 2021....

I'm not a fan of what they did with these state park quarters. There an incomplete S mint mark set and a very small W mint mark set that varies from year to year. Just in general poorly done for a completist collector.

Likely they will have the proof set, silver proof set, the mint set, the 3 coin circulation set PDS, and the S release.

... probably overprice the mint and proof sets especially the silver set. I dunno. All specualtion.

I guess they could start the Washington crossing the delegate in 2021 but seems way out of place to do that and just wrong.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
06/21/2020 12:03 am
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two quarters in 2021, then one in 2022 and beyond. Tranquility and peace and fatter pocket books return to the quarter collector.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16911 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Washington crossing the delegate

Hmmm that sounds like it would be interesting. Running over him with his carriage?
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/24/2020 10:52 pm
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why anyone would currently speculate that mintages of any 2021 US coin will be higher than average. If anything, they will remain lower than average. DC is going to throttle the Treasury/USMint as long as they can during the COVID crisis. I would not expect any of the mints to return to normal operation until the end of 2021 or sometime in 2022.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets hope that the Washington obverse returns to its pre-1999 glory. The one that we have had for the past two decades is just too busy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not a fan of what they did with these state park quarters. There an incomplete S mint mark set and a very small W mint mark set that varies from year to year. Just in general poorly done for a completist collector.

This.

The repercussions of destroying the value of roll set and mini-bag collections by the contrived scarcity of the West Point quarters may last for a very long time. The old adage of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind. Not selling West Point quarters to series subscribers was a cheesy gimmick, and it backfired. I strongly believe that collectors will be reluctant to subscribe to future mint series, expecting another "W quarter" fiasco.

The last several shows my wife and I worked before the COVID pandemic, we saw collectors carrying boxes of ATB rolls and mini-bags, looking to dump them for whatever they could get. We weren't in the market to buy any of them above face value, because of the impact of the West Point quarters on the overall ability to complete UNC collections.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16911 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure why anyone would currently speculate that mintages of any 2021 US coin will be higher than average. If anything, they will remain lower than average. DC is going to throttle the Treasury/USMint as long as they can during the COVID crisis. I would not expect any of the mints to return to normal operation until the end of 2021 or sometime in 2022.

You hear this a lot but it really isn't true. So far in the first 7 months the mint has produced 8.221 Billion coins, about 1.2 billion coins per month. They are on track to make over 14 billion coins this year, which is comparitable to previous years. (2019 12 Billion, 2018 13 Billion, 2017 15 Billion) And they say they plan on ramping UP production. (sorry the table comes up skewed.

Denomination/
Mint         Cent      5 Cent    10 Cent   25 Cent   50 Ct  N.A.$1   Pres.$1   Total:
Denver       2339.6 M  439.44 M   762.5 M   743.2 M  1.8 M  1.26 M   0 M       4287.8 M
Philada      2021.6 M  396.72 M   727.0 M   784.6 M  2.3 M   1.4 M   0 M       3933.62 M
Total:       4361.2 M  836.16 M  1489.5 M  1527.8 M  4.1 M  2.66 M   0 M       8221.42 M

The only throttling being done to the Mint is "Full speed ahead!"
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/13/2020 8:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16911 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the Mint/government is addicted to all the money that the State and ATB Quarters have brought in over the past 21 years. That's going to be going away, so I wouldn't be surprised to see all KINDS of special sets/finishes for the 2021 quarters to try and keep that money flowing.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19575 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still waiting for the Quarter to have all the streets, each building, all the trees from every state on the reverse. And then they will start with a Quarter for every car, bus, truck made each year.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Conder101. With the decline in the number of designs and coin offering, yes, one can assume that US Mint revenues will fall. However, the US Mint always seems to have something up its sleeve.

In the past 2 years, I've seen silver Presidential medals, W mint mark circulating quarters, special silver eagles with different finishes, etc. Further, prices for US Mint products have been increased significantly -- likely to deal with declines in purchases. The US Mint must proceed with caution -- higher prices can lead to some collectors walking away from buying their products.

Personally, I think the US Mint needs to return back to basics. Focus on creating CIRCULATING coins that will generate excitement. The W mint mark quarters are a great way to start.
Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry the table comes up skewed.
Fixed. Use the CODE tags. Also, converted tabs to spaces since the tab/space ratio varies system to system.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Quarter to have all the streets, each building, all the trees from every state on the reverse. And then they will start with a Quarter for every car, bus, truck made each year.

SHHHHHHH! There might be a mint employee on this forum. Don't give them any ideas. While I understand some people can enjoy looking for every design, my interest waned after the mint made "special" design an (over) common occurrence. I remember the hub bub over the Bicentennials when they came out. Coin collector or not, people loved seeing the different design. Now there are so many designs it seems all but a very few ignore it.

They may as well make one with the following emoticon on it:
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin searching to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to see what the mint will do next.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 807Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05