Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Market Value Of Nik-A-Dated 1921 S Buffalo?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 738Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3490 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  12:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I (or more precisely my LCS has) have a Nik-a-dated 1921S Buffalo. That is, the worn date was made sort of visible with that acid solution. The underlying grade is about VG. The date is barely visible.

Can dealers in the US sell these, and if so what do people actually pay for them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are considered damage. I wouldn't buy them for more than dateless bison or about 35 cents each.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5272 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quality of the restoration job means a lot. I always thought treating the entire coin, not just the date area, yields better results.

It might bring a couple of bucks on eBay but it will never bring anywhere near what a natural date, non-restored coin will bring.

Regardless, the coin will always be a details coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13612 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a dealer in California that has 21-S restored Buffaloes in VG : 3 feathers $80 > 2 feathers $205 > 2 1/2 feathers $95 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, it's worth whatever someone will pay. I have seen wayyyy to many of these sell on eBay for way more than they should, especially a fully treated one. It does bring out more of the details evenly, but looks horrible. I personally would never go out of my way to buy one, but if one was in a lot I wouldn't pay more than a dateless, as hfjacinto said.
Edited by Ty2020b
06/28/2020 3:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well put.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3490 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so the answer is, not very much in the US, and in Canada probably even less.

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a small market for restored rare-variety Buffs. A restored date 1916 DDO or 1918-D/1917-D DDO will sell as a filler. I've seen a couple 1913-S Type 2 Buffs sell with restored dates, as well

There isn't much of a market for the other restored date Buffs, because inexpensive AG/G Buffs with unrestored dates are readily available. An original VG-08 1921-S Buff right now runs <$70, and a natural date AG is $20-25.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3490 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if a natural date 1921S in AG is $20-25, then a restored date probably couldn't be more than 10-25% of that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13612 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with you guys . I don't know why that one dealer is asking so much money for his restored Buffaloes .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19342 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I'm concerned those are just damaged coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2153 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago I was asked by an estate sale company I worked with to make an offer for a large coin collection. In the collection there were 2 nearly full Library Of Coins Buffalo nickel albums with mostly nik-a-dated coins. Almost every coin had the classic round dot over the dates. Many of them had what appeared to be green PVC slime. I looked through the albums, saw the condition, & put the albums in the pile of items I wasn't interested in. When I talked with the people running the estate sale I told them the coins were damaged & therefore not worth as much. When they asked how much they should sell them for I told them I didn't have any idea what the market was for coins in that shape. I wasn't comfortable making an offer or giving pricing guidance. They ended up pricing the 2 albums somewhere around $200 each.

At the time I helped the estate sale company out on the days they had sales. For this sale they asked me to monitor the jewelry/coin table to keep items from disappearing. On the 1st day of the sale several collectors looked at the albums, saw the condition of the nickels, & put them back down. On the 2nd day a guy showed up that obviously didn't know anything about coins. He ended up buying a bunch of modern mint/proof sets that were priced at high retail...& the 2 albums of Buffalo nickels. I saw the same guy at another estate sale several weeks later. He told me he listed the nickels individually on eBay and made over $4000......
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh EBay, the perfect platform for the blind to lead the blind.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ahhh EBay, the perfect platform for the blind to lead the blind.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13612 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming he had the major Buffalo errors in those books .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two restored date 1916 DDOs that I saw change hands sold for well over $1,000 each. A natural date AG is north of $2,200. The 1918-D/1917-D DDO is, of course, much less expensive, and the handful of restored date coins that I saw were in the $100 range. The 1913-S Type 2 restored date coins that I have seen were offered for sale, but I can't remember any changing hands.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05