Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NGC MS-63 1911 Barber Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 231Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MorganMan70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious, how did this coin possibly receive MS-63? the number checks out, and the holder is real in my opinion. Is this some type of toning? Did this most likely happen after the coin was slabbed?

Here is the ebay, but I attached photos below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Barbe...LH_Auction=1

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13612 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the reason why I grade my own coins . A typical example of TPG grading solely on whether the coin has wear or not and not by eye appeal or anything else for that matter . Yes I agree with you the coin has blotchy black disgusting oxide some will call toning ( Not Me ) . I know most would disagree with me but I wouldn't feel bad about giving this coin MS-61 just by the looks the coin was given to me to give an opinionated grade .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48838 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty hard to swallow that one for sure.
Valued Member
Canada
474 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically an MS-60 imo, not really that pretty either. Aren't market graded coins supposed to be netted down for negative eye appeal?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6303 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing here is what happens when people start to examine the coins and not the slabs.

Don't put blind faith that what these companies claim to do/be is what they actually provide. I am not saying their intentions are deliberately evil. I am saying their marketers do an excellent job at selling the company and product. These businesses exist to make profit. Unfortunately its all to easy to find instances such as this where they fall far short of what they want people to believe they produce.

Another point to remember is that these companies specifically say their service of grading coins is an art. The day is long past in which we have had the technology to accurately and scientifically verify (repeatedly for the same coin) what the grade of a coin would be. I personally think (just opinion) that the tech in a modern iPhone could be utilized to make an app to consistently grade coins (IR facial recognition instantaneously collects 30,000 data points of a face at any angle for positive ID - that's quite the detailed scan/data collection!). But a verifiable grade would cut into profits and business by eliminating people cracking coins out of slabs and resubmitting to try to get a higher grade (hence higher resale value).

Always buy the coin and not the slab.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9324 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In-hand it likely has some luster, no wear and few contact marks. So many coins are dipped white many think a toned piece can't be MS. The bits of dirt don't automatically make it circulated.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16651 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a net grading. Without the ugly color it might be a 64 based on strike and marks.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning (and even spotting) doesn't factor into grading nearly as much as many collectors think. If the details are still solid under the toning, that is the bulk of the grade.

The flip side to that is too many people think just because something is shiny and not toned that it must be high grade. Saw an auction on Proxibid where is was obvious the auctioneer was not a coin person. But had received an estate consignment of a large collection of US classic coins. Morgans, Peace, Barbers, Seated libs, Trade dollars. And he marketed them as all high grade uncirculated. Some were. Most were not. I came to the conclusion that the collector before he died, had polished every single silver coin he owned. Even the MS ones. Many were XF based on wear. And "Details" because of the polish. But people were paying MS straight grade prices. Sad.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05