Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Collecting Dutch / Nl Coins, Or Need Assist?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  

Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dutch, Netherlands, Holland, it has a lot of names (explainable if interested), but I am wondering if there are any collectors outside of the Netherlands also collect these coins, and if so, is that Pre-Royal(provences and occupied) or Royal?

If so, and you need help or info, I'm happy to assist where ever I can. Not sure if there are other Dutch members here.

Let me know what you are having or if you are looking for something hard to find that I can help you with!

Alex
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Dutch provinces and cities of the Golden Age. Is there an easy way to know and remember denominations? Stuiver, schelling, daalder, gulden, rider, and their exchange rates as the stuiver itself fluctuated in value against world currencies. How do you know how many pounds, reales, or ecu's the Dutch trade coins were worth at home and abroad? Do you have a good reference of values and exchange rates?
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay let me give it a go. It is very complicated so follow me if you are really interested. Let's split the two currencies and start with the old denomination before the royal kingdom(The Republic of the seven united Netherlands), and the new denomination after the decimalisation of the Dutch currency(Batavian Republic and the Royal kingdom of the Netherlands afterwards).

From small to large:

A "Duit" or "Penny", equals 2 "Penningen" or ""tokens".

A "stuiver", in other European countries called a "shilling", used to be 8 "Duiten/pennies". It was also 16 "Penningen/tokens".

The Schelling(not to be confused with the foreign Shilling), was worth 6 stuivers.

A "gulden"(pre-decimal) was 20 stuivers, or 160 pennies. In the northern provences they were 28 stuivers, and in the southern(now Belgium) provences they used "pond Vlaams" or "Pound Flemish", which was worth 6 gulden. This all made trade very complicated so people used small books to recalculate during trade.

A Daalder(pre decimal) was 30 stuivers. They were minted from 1538 - 1847.

A "zilveren Rijder" or "Silver Rider" was 60 stuivers. They were minted from 1659 - 1798.

Then there is the "Leeuwendaader" or Lion Dollar, also known as a Dog Dollar. A heavy silver coin from .750 silver. Very popular amongst collectors in the Netherlands(I myself have some but I'll be selling them soon).

This Lion Dollar was worth 32 stuivers, and later when coinage was reviewed, 38 stuivers, and even up to 42 stuivers. The premium above silver rate was used for the war chest. It was widely used across the world for trade, and is also known as the first real US dollar. The word dollar originates from this Daalder. They were introduced in New Netherland(later New Amsterdam, and New York after that, when the Dutch traded New Amsterdam with the British for the colony of Surinam).

These Lion dollars were minted from 1575 - 1713. Every provence in that day had their own design, and also some big trade cities minted their own Lion Dollars(Kampen, Zwolle, Zutphen). There are also "Half Lion Dollars" known. Have the size, and half the value. They are more rare then the regular ones.

After decimalisation things got a lot easier, the same way the US currency works. 100 cents in a Gulden, 20 nickels in a gulden, or 10 dimes in a gulden, etc.

Any follow-up questions? Feel free to ask them! Hope you enjoy this small piece of history!
Edited by ff4266
07/12/2020 3:20 pm
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of a Leeuwendaalder / Lion Dollar from the Provence of Holland. Minted in the City of Dordrecht. Holland was later split up and is now known as Zuid-Holland and Noord-Holland(South and North). These provences always had the highest population and wealth, and biggest cities like Rotterdam, The Hague(both South) and Amsterdam and Haarlem(both North).. This is why the Netherlands is often referred to as Holland.

Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really consider myself a "collector of Dutch coins" but a lot of what's falling into my radar are exactly that. Mainly looking for higher grade silver riders, but there are others on my list.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect coins of Holland's southern neighbor(s), Brabant and occasionally Flanders. Intentionally . I have a loosely organized OFER (one from every reign), and in some cases, several types/denominations from each reign, starting with Godefroid III. From Charles the Bold through Philippe le Beau, it is also a place where I collect the early dated coins 1475-1505.

So the discussion of denominations is helpful.
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to hear it has been helpful!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2243 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I toss in my pre-Batavian

Dutch East Indian duits

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17162 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have about 20 or so Netherlands and Netherlands colonial coins covering the last 300 years.

The silver Guilder was a 'Proclamation Coin' proclaimed as legal tender in the Colony of New South Wales, and so are an essential part of early Australian numismatic history. Almost needless to say, I have a couple of examples in nice condition.
Governor King's (second Governor of New South Wales representing the British Crown), Procalmation of 1791, tariffed the gold Dutch trading Ducat at Nine Shillings and Sixpence, and the silver Guilder at Two Shillings.

There is a town called GUILDERTON about 80 kilometers north of Perth, in Western Australia. I have holidayed there on two occasions. The town derives it's name from Dutch guilders found in sailing ship wrecks off the Western Australian Coast. These ships met their unfortunate demise on uncharted reefs, when they they were on route to Batavia (Indonesia).

To name a few Dutch shipwrecks:
Batavia (1628)
Vergulde Draek (1656)
Zuitdorp (1712)
Zeewijk (1727)
Edited by sel_69l
07/12/2020 8:29 pm
Valued Member
Spain
73 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't say I collect Dutch coinage, I have some 2.5 Wilhemina guilders. I would like to supplement my collection with a Leuweendaalder and a silver rider. Sadly, as I live in Spain, they don't really show up all that often in the local auctions.
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want I can help you with that... they are easier to Find here..
Valued Member
Spain
73 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ff4266
I might take you up on that. How much would either go for, in a good condition & with a good strike?
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would want to send you a private message but it seems I'm to new on the forums for that...
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05