Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Liberty Seated Half Dollar, MS? Pr?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 572Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JCammyProof to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to know if this half dollar is a sharp MS example or possibly Proof? Possible grade?

Weight: 12.43 g

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49658 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a mis-handled proof - I'll say PR-58.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5369 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly circulated proof but they may give it a PF 62-63 grade.

Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9378 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell if it's a polished business strike or a proof. Either way it's worth thousands of dollars if genuine.
How did you acquire it?
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
4166 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also suspect of its surface originality, I'm leaning towards polished myself
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say proof as well. First set of pics look like a straight grade. Second set look like it's been polished. If it straight grades, I can't see this getting higher than PR60.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34851 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks polished and or fake. I am no pro so I will for the pros.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/13/2020 04:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
959 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look authentic to me. Maybe polished like other have indicated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing the rim and details to this coin https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...0c-cam/86419, I think this one is a mis-handled Proof. If it's fake, it is a real good one.
Looks like it has been dipped at least once, maybe more.
PR-60
Pillar of the Community
United States
9020 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
everything is pointing to proof if its real. this one is worth authentication and grading.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think polished at some point. Even a proof that old isn't going to stay that shinny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it was covered with something (maybe lacquer?) and then polished off. Take a look at the reverse between 6-10 and looks like something on it. The letters in that area look smooth (the way it should) but has something on it, the rest of the denomination looks like polishing and would make a rough surface on the letters, just like the surface on the obverse on Liberty's skin surface. Not original surfaces but is a real Seated half dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof, UNC Details
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

How many reeds are on the edge? It should have 145, 152, or 153.
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like it was covered with something (maybe lacquer?)

That's what I thought when I saw it... Looks like it had a coat of lacquer.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4120 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof details, some type of environmental damage. Have you tried an acetone soak?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05