Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 D DDO Liberty, Trust, Woody

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 324Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  7:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rbrk60668992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone please tell me if this is a true double die and it is a "woody"? I also have a 1995, 1996 and 1997 with these striations.

Edited by rbrk60668992
07/15/2020 11:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a woody, sorry. Better, larger close photos are needed to evaluate doubling, please.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49439 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Woodies" don't really exist with our modern plated zinc coins (since 1982).

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/15/2020 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had a discussion last year about lines like these on a 2005 cent. Forum determination from the majority was that it was striations on the planchet before plating that didn't get obliterated in the strike. The rollers that bring the zinc sheet into spec thickness get particles over time and leave scratches, the strike usually obliterates them. Could also be the rollers are terminal and about to be changed.

I'd like to see the reverse also if you have a picture.

Thread is here:
http://goccf.com/t/351368

As far as linear plating blisters go they wouldn't be so widespreadand mostly uniform. Some of them could be linear plating blisters though still.

If it were die abrasions from removing a clash you would see it in the field but not on the devices which are the low points on the die.
Couple reasons for the lines to be left behind and it could be water or over greased or a lower pressure strike than normal. There can be odd movement also that can show as Machine Doubling on coins like this.

Coin frog is right, woodies don't exist with copper plated zinc cents. The copper isn't a alloy like the older brass or bronze cents were so there isn't an improper mix anymore that can cause the wood like striping effect.

I think if you are seeing some doubling it's going to be Machine Doubling.

I'm no expert in this but I spent considerable time researching striations and these type of lines. There's no collector market for it, just an odd series of events of manufacture of the planchet and then something with the strike to make it appear as it does. I've seen a few examples from 1998 to 2005.

Thanks for sharing!
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/15/2020 8:52 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rbrk60668992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few more pics. I hope they are close enough.

Edited by rbrk60668992
07/15/2020 11:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Split plating on the reverse and some DDD on the left side of the devices on Liberty. Spender. Normal reverse for this year. Close AM.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not of value to collectors really, so technically a spender, but I think it's worthy of saving (especially that it only cost you one cent) for the split plate on the reverse, the roller lines on both sides, the DDD, also split plating on the TR ST of Trust above the letters.

Again, not of value, but nice reference piece of a couple issues for your personal collection I think, I'd save it, if it were me it's just a cent afterall. LOL even if it's not worth more than a cent.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/17/2020 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper plated Zinc Lincoln's can't be woodie's can they ?

Dan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. The plating can peel away, but the zinc doesn't laminate.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rbrk60668992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05