Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1811 Capped Bust Half Dollar Gradable?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 587Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  02:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I am curious about this 1811 Capped Bust Half Dollar. It has some really cool die breaks and it is slightly off center, but I am wondering if the mark on Liberty's cheek will result in a "VF Details" grade for being "damaged/scratched" or if this coin might earn the VF(20) grade or higher that I was hoping for.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

What do you think? Do you think this coin has a chance to straight grade at PCGS? Or will the mark on Liberty's cheek curse it with a "details" grade.

Edited by Adam590
07/16/2020 03:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2154 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you please post the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4113 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good chance, I would say. They recognize a lot of very old US silver is in bad shape and tend to be very lenient on scratches, even major ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it'll straight grade.
In that grade circulation marks are expected.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49579 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the scratch in such a prominent position, I think it would be a details coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2154 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close call, but I'd say VF-25 straight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bad, but the obverse scratch on the face should really be considered before sending it in for grading
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your feedback so far! I appreciate your time and consideration. I sent this out to PCGS one month ago via a very trustworthy dealership in my hometown. The guys there thought this would probably straight grade, but it is certainly not a given. I bought this coin almost twenty years ago when I was in high school and the scratch on the face never really bothered me--it always struck me as yet another character trait on a coin with fascinating die cracks and a cool off center strike. This being said, I know that the average collector, and certainly PCGS, may be less forgiving. If it grades as VF(20) or VF(25) I will be ecstatic. The moment of truth is approaching. Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try this forum: http://goccf.com/f/134
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, JBuck. Can we delete the identical one I posted here (before I knew we could move this one?)? Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imo this is a details coin, but PCGS is pretty well known for straight grading circulated CBHs with problems.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9002 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the off center strike is causing some weakness in strike in certain areas on both sides. the scratch may details the coin but the coin looks to be VF20 and maybe 25 based on the higher devices. the yellow light is not helping assessing the surfaces
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sent this out to PCGS one month ago

The time to ask your questions is before you send it out.
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks, JBuck. Can we delete the identical one I posted here (before I knew we could move this one?)? Thanks again!
You are welcome. Spence already took care of the duplicate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3795 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 Details. I don't think there is a considerable chance of it grading straight unfortunately.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05