Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1796 Draped Bust Dollar- Grade? Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 323Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  5:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum.

I am looking for some guidance on this coin I may buy. Do you all think it's real? It looks like it may have been cleaned on the obverse if it is real. Trying to gauge the price so I don't get ripped off.

Any input is appreciated, I know you can only give advice based on the pictures and it's not as for sure as seeing it in person.

Slainte,

Matt

Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you notice the word "Copy" stamped on the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah....."Copy"....This is going to be one of those to pass on.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21342 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you notice the word "Copy" stamped on the reverse?

Can't add much after that.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly still can't make it out when I look at it but I see what you're talking about now. Looks like dirt mark or something on my computer. Oh well, that solves that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50527 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like a smudge on my phone, but I'll take your work for it! Actually, the date font gives it away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using my laptop the word "copy" is readily visible under the wreath on the back.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still illegal.
"(3) An imitation numismatic item of incusable material shall be incused with the word "COPY" in sans-serif letters having a vertical dimension of not less than two millimeters (2.0 mm) or not less than one-sixth of the diameter of the reproduction, and a minimum depth of three-tenths of one millimeter (0.3 mm) or to one-half ( 1#8260;2 ) the thickness of the reproduction, whichever is the lesser. The minimum total horizontal dimension of the word "COPY" shall be six millimeters (6.0 mm) or not less than one-half of the diameter of the reproduction."
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05