Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Silver American Eagle Coins Yellow Like This?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 560Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  6:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The middle coin (left and right are fine), what am I looking at here, something natural, or something wrong? The center coin has a decidedly yellow reflection/tint compared to ALL of my other silver coins. The reverse side is far less pronounced. Part of the rim on the obverse side is practically gold looking (look at 2 o'clock).

Edited by xorbe
07/28/2020 7:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They might be plated. Even proofs don't have that much contrast in her dress, I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO they were probably improperly stored.
Heat, moisture or some other contaminant got to them.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got out my crazy magnet, and all 3 seem to give similar paramangetic feedback when waving the the magnet over them. Additional photo of golden rim. This is an excellent pic of what caught my attention, you can definitely see why I'm suspect about the coin here. (Ignore the fingerprint on the sun, that's mine on the plastic shell.) Eh, I think it's best if I send this coin back to the seller, I'm just not happy with it.

Edited by xorbe
07/28/2020 8:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10563 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the photo, Dr. Venkman. Details look good but the color is (as you pointed out) off. I assume it's bullion?
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hard to tell from the photo, Dr. Venkman. Details look good but the color is (as you pointed out) off. I assume it's bullion?

No, it's supposed to be the limited Nov 2019 19XE reverse proof. The seller said silver coins aren't pure silver, and we'll talk on the phone in the morning. I assume this is going to result in a formal eBay complaint, or me filing with my credit card for a charge back. This coin isn't right for what it's supposed to actually be. It shimmers golden not silver.

Forgive me, but were there 2019 reverse bullion?
Edited by xorbe
07/28/2020 11:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10563 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, it's supposed to be the limited Nov 2019 19XE reverse proof.

I see. Well, you didn't show the MM. Good luck. Also looks like there might be a thumb print on the sun on that one.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Ignore the fingerprint on the sun, that's mine on the plastic shell.)

However, it looks like the plastic clam was pried open (despite claiming never opened). There is clearly a gouge mark between the halves. I requested a refund, I'll just go up the ladder with the seller, eBay, then credit card. Lesson learned, no more coins from eBay. This has not been a great experience, combined with an offical US Mint box missing a silver American Eagle.
Edited by xorbe
07/29/2020 12:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10563 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Ignore the fingerprint on the sun, that's mine on the plastic shell.)

Sorry, missed that.

Well... you can get solid things from ebay. But these days you are almost always going to get what you pay for. There are just too many people out there that know what things are worth to get a screaming deal. For the most part.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller said to talk today on the phone, but haven't been able to catch up with him yet, no messages either. Started the return process via eBay website. Hopefully this goes smoothly, apparently I'm actually still in the return window.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2949 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it was either exposed to air, or to sunlight, I am guessing it wasn't airtight..
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strange. when they were new, I bought five 2017 bullion ASEs. all five of them discolored slightly golden. I can't figure it out. when I got them they were silver, and they looked silver next to the other silver things, but after a year or two, all five ASEs were slightly golden toned, but none of my other ASEs were, only those five 2017s. *shrugs*...

that's a shame it happened to your '19 ERP, I wonder if anyone else has experienced that with theirs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  06:48 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup...coin is just showing some toning. I agree that the capsule was probably opened for some weird reason and the coin exposed to the atmosphere...or it's a defective capsule and air is getting in. Some collectors like toned ASE's

No issues with returning a purchase on Ebay. Start your return request (you did), seller basically has to accept it, and you return the coin...money will be refunded when the seller receives the coin.

Simple procedure and no CC involvement or phone calls are needed.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xorbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the return started. Yeah I really suspect that it spent time outside of the capsule with one side exposed. Contrary to the listing that it had never been opened. Given that only on one side is toned, and the nicks in the capsule. I'll just try again later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Airtites aren't "air tight" it's why they spell it wrong I guess :)

They even say so " Air-Tites are virtually "air-tight,""

Seriously though, they aren't air tight at all.

they aren't water submersible, that's for sure!
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Airtites aren't "air tight" it's why they spell it wrong I guess :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05