Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts About No More Lincoln Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 360Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Previously posted in US Modern Variety and Error Coins. ***

I had seen on the news that the mint may cease Lincoln cent production. Thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would really hate to see this happen. I've seen stories on both stopping production and keeping the coin for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what will happen or when.

Maybe the COVID-19 coin shortage will have an effect on the future of the cent, but again that could go either way.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
6413 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They keep saying this. Yet no action is taken. You can see many discussions about this here on this forum. I hate the thought of it happening, but also admit there is no good reason to keep making them. The mint already loses money on cent production, but they make quite a bit on some denominations so they are losing nothing by its continuation.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been listening to "They are going to stop making the cent" since the 1970s.

it's still here. This speculation happens every single year, it's like writers run out of things to write about or something and say, "awww heck, lets just run the kill the cent story again that will get us through vacation!"
LOL

I suppose eventually it will actually happen, so far it's been 50 years of waiting for "eventually" to happen.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/30/2020 12:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be fun to track ebay selling data on unopened Lincoln cent boxes over the last 10 years--and monitor over the next 12 months. Any correlation with 'drop the cent' news features?

The most current discussion here:
http://goccf.com/t/378293
Edited by ijn1944
07/30/2020 12:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does cost 2.06 to make a penny and 7.53 cents to make a nickel,,,,losing money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Mint has announced the last batch of Lincoln cent will be minted in April 2022.
Valued Member
Finland
288 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eurocoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally!

"Starting in late 2021, the US Government will begin "Pennies for Freedom," a penny reclamation campaign designed to collect the estimated 23 trillion unused pennies sitting in people's homes and coin jars.

The pennies will then be melted and the copper will be used for green energy projects throughout the US. This is part of the Trump Administration's plans for reducing US dependence on foreign energy.
"

Source: https://cashmoneylife.com/us-mint-c...-production/

Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last real barrier to dropping the one cent coin was the introduction of the "forever stamp" back when. I remember to this day standing in line at a post office to make the grand purchase of two, one cent stamps. Receipt: $.02!
Now, the only real reason to moan and complain is by the collectors of cents whose albums have extra holes with nothing to put into them!
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Edited by matthewvincent
07/30/2020 2:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2098 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I've been reading up on the situation and articles from decades ago are saying the same thing they are now.

I honestly doubt any effort will be made, but who knows.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder if the 23 trillion figure cited above includes proofs and steel cents. Also, all those cents mostly lost to time--at the bottom of the Pacific, Atlantic, etc; tossed into the surf, lakes, rivers, and geysers for good luck, etc. I doubt many collectors would empty their albums and crack open slabs to give back those Lincoln cents.

If there is a call for patriots to offer up their cents, I wonder what the final number recovered would be--a few billion? And what would one find on ebay? Thoughts?
Edited by ijn1944
07/30/2020 3:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
88634 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Existing and current topic...

http://goccf.com/t/378293

Quote:
Finally!
That was an April Fools joke.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05