Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896-S Barber Quarter - Thoughts On Grade

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,151Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2332 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6848 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Original surfaces G6/VG8, no higher than that. Nice example.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see LI and TY on the headband. That puts it about VG-8 in my book, which seems to be the consensus so far.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3425 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at VG-8.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at F12
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was graded a G-06 and has a CAC green bean. I paid a bit of a premium but not VG prices. Definitely think this is a solid VG-08. Not sure if I will ever be able to complete my Barber quarter set, still need the top two heavyweights.

Thanks for all your thoughts/grades. The community certainly feels it is VG.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why it received a "green bean". I checked Photograde and there for a VG-8 you can see the LI and TY. For VG-6 you just see the tips of the TY.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely textbook VG-08, at least you have the green bean on there. Not sure how they only saw this as a 06 with that headband and dentil separation .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me in at VG-08. Tough date in any grade. Nice original survivor. It's been a while since I saw a circulated 1896-S without rim dings and deep contact marks. The last one I handled for a buyer was a VF-30, and it had issues. I really like the eye appeal of your coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a solid VG-8 with very pleasing eye appeal and original surfaces. At least you have a Green Bean on the G-6 slab, but regardless of what NGC said it's a great example!
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EarlyTurban to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it as a VG-8. Nice coin and tough to find problem-free.
CCF Advertiser
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a good VG8 for me. Yeah, do share what NGC grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks VG8 to me also. If you got it for a better price than VG then don't complain. This is a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3467 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nailed it ! G6 Coin with a CAC .....will bring VG8 money
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,151Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05