Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Great Grandfathers Collection (Huge Silver Pile!)

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,377Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8973 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good time to sell silver I suppose but I'd go through and keep the better ones. The Lynchburg and 20 center caught my eye. Nothing looks cooler than piles of silver Walking Liberty half dollars and Standing Liberty quarters.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EarlyTurban to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection. Thanks for sharing - I'm sure there's a lot of sentimental value there, as well as the obvious intrinsic value.
Learn More...
United States
90063 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quite an accumulation of 90% silver .
Indeed!

Quote:
I'm sure there's a lot of sentimental value there
I agree. I would be sure to keep a portion of it to hand down another generation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9351 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a super collection your Great Grandfather put together!
Do you know if this was all pulled from circulation?
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that just about all of his collection was pulled out of circulation. I know that he eded up purchasing a few of the Indian cents that were in the complete set from the first part (we found documentation that he paid $35 for the 1877 and $25 for the 1909s). Id don't know if he found the 1873 cc in circulation or not, but he didn't have many of the Seated half dollars, so I would think he would not have bought that one.

I would love to keep this collection, but I don't want this much silver. The proceeds are going to be split amongst myself and my 8 cousins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9351 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through many rolls of half dollars that my grandparents hoarded through the mid sixties as all were 40% Kennedys and older. I only kept some of the Walkers and Franklin halves for my Whitman folders. I'm not sure where the rest ended up after that.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
3801 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive, certainly much better than the average hoard posted on here over the years. Cool to see a Seated Liberty dime amidst a pile of silver dimes. Unfortunately it appears that a lot of the older stuff like the loose Barber coinage was cleaned. Who knows maybe there is some keys and semi keys in there.

Do you have any idea on the timeframe he was actively collecting from?
Edited by Joe2007
08/04/2020 10:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He lived through the Great Depression raising his kids. There is no doubt that he hoarded away things when he could, even if it was his nest egg. He probably collected through into the 70s and then my grandmother filled in a little bit after he passed.

I pulled all the Seated dimes out (there were about a dozen) including an 1888s and an 1872, most others are pretty common.

All the Barber half dollars are cleaned, probably worth about melt now, maybe a fraction over it.
CCF Advertiser
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite a good collection. Thanks for sharing!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10897 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! It seems you might be selling at a good time, too.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Edited by spruett001
08/06/2020 02:13 am
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would keep most of us busy for awhile. !

I can smell the silver from here!

CCF Advertiser
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite a good collection!
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the responses. This did not take as long as I thought it would to go through. Already found a buyer for all the "junk" silver. The remaining few coins (CC Half, 20cent, lynchburg, etc) will be sold individually.

All in all, about $9200 in silver. Wish I could have bought it myself, but I don't need anymore silver here!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10897 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  02:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't figure you would have trouble finding a buyer at the moment. Junk silver is worth its weight in...well...you know.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05