Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will CAC Approve Ls Coins If Dipped Or Hairlined, Even If Deeply Toned Over

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 559Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
335 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A couple years back, a writer on this forum told me it could take over a year to find a suitable LSD for my type set. It took over two years.
This last July, Brishen Foley published an outstanding article in the E-Gobrecht, the monthly newsletter of the Liberty Seated Collectors Club, that completely changed my thinking about what to look for. Foley stressed the importance of original surfaces and strongly recommended the purchase of CAC approved LSDs because surface quality is very important in the CAC evaluation. He also recommended that any original surfaced LSD purchased in the marketplace be sent to CAC for evaluation.
I previously had overemphasized strike. Looking particularly for clear detail in the intricate braids on Ms. Liberty's head had become an obsession. I found a "perfect" AU-55 1841 at a Heritage Auction and dropped out of bidding hundreds of dollars above retail. It subsequently sold for a 50% premium over retail. I had a similar experience with an 1849. Neither of these coins had a CAC sticker, I found them both very attractive and wondered why there was no sticker, as Heritage submits all it's auction items to CAC.
After reading Mr. Foley's article, I looked at several CAC appoved LSDs and saw a great consistency in surface quality in the fields. None had been dipped and although, depending on grade, there might be a few marks, I saw no hairlines.
I then went back and looked at the coins I had liked so much. Both were very attractive, but both had hairlines, well toned over, but still there.
So, I found, and purchased on EBay yesterday, an XF-45 1845 LSD with a tru view at 39169294. It is less well struck than I had been looking for, but I think it is an attractive coin with nice surfaces. It has some dings and marks consistent with the grade, and might or might not have some deeply toned over hairlines. I chose it over similarly priced CAC options because I found it more attractive and interesting. I am going to send it in to CAC, but I fear if the marks I have questions about CAC will deem as hairlines from a very old cleaning. Even if it doesn't CAC, I am happy with my purchase, and I was definitely steered much more to surface quality in making my decision.
So I wonder, as to all Liberty Seated coins of any denomination, whether CAC will reject them as a matter of course if they have been dipped or if hairlines, even though no longer prominent, can be detected. I will take any thoughts into consideration in making future Liberty Seated purchases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if it will green bean, but it certainly is a very attractive coin. Congrats on the purchase!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fwiw I find any and all TPGs overly lenient on SLDs, even CAC. Then again, I've also seen CAC sticker coins that never should have straight graded, and then not sticker coins that are not only straight grade, but undergraded as well. If you examine the coin and its to your liking, don't let a lack of a sticker from a company that, despite being somewhat stricter than the main TPGs, do seem a bit inconsistent at times, be the deciding factor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread. Unless your type set is solely consisting of CAC approved slabs, then go with whatever you find appealing. It is a beautiful coin!. If it were myself, I would take this one all day at a reasonable price over a CAC approved coin for 50% over.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2666 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC will not typically approve coins with hairlines or that appear to have been dipped. I had a conversation with JA about dipped coins. His words, "I could dip half a roll of mint Franklins and the so called dip experts could not tell the ones dipped vs the ones not dipped". The conversation came up because I had a colorful CAC NGC XF 45 Seated quarter that some thought it was dipped and retoned. It is hard to tell if a coin has been dipped and retoned unless you know the history of coin.

Edited by Slider23
08/09/2020 10:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. . It is hard to tell if a coin has been dipped and retoned unless you know the history of coin.

Unless it's waayyyy over dipped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2380 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand this post. Are you buying the coin or you buying the sticker? This to me looks like buying the slab and not the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9406 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truview is very flattering, eBay images not so much. If it looks like the ebay images it has little chance at CAC. It appears to have a market acceptable cleaning.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait I just realized, are there pictures that I'm not seeing? I'm clicking the links and they just take me to eBay 'no results' page.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hfjacinto
Fair question. I bought the coin because I liked it better than other options that were stickered. I find myself doing this with some frequency. So I don't think I bought the sticker.
My inartfull question was soliciting input for future purchases. If it's dipped, is it not going to CAC? If there are any discernible hairlines, will it fail to CAC on that basis? Those were the conclusions I reached from my observations I hope to receive input on.
Why do I care? Because the market cares. For some coins, quite a lot. That seems to be the case with Seated dollars. So when I find a coin I like without a sticker, I try to evaluate how it stacks up against CAC approved coins. Sometimes it's easy to see why a coin at a Heritage Auction didn't sticker. I typically avoid those. It there is no problem that is obvious to me, I choose a coin based on strike and personal eye appeal.
Thanks for your comments, everyone.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC will sticker coins that are superior for the assigned grade. Not all
XF45's are the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9406 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it's dipped, is it not going to CAC? If there are any discernible hairlines, will it fail to CAC on that basis?

A dipping alone should not disqualify a coin at CAC. A quick, light, expert dip that is properly rinsed is often not readily apparent and even if it is, does not "harm" the coin.

Now discernable hairlines are another animal. If hairlines are apparent it's highly unlikely to CAC unless the coin is otherwise something very special.

As to market value I understand completely. I am of limited means and want to maximize future value with every purchase. I just don't have a large disposable income.

Best of luck my friend.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC does not like darkly toned coins even if good for the grade. I have such an example and spoke with one of their graders about the specific coin.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05