Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851 Braided Hair Large Cent Stamped On Half Cent Planchet?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 619Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willy D to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey community, my buddy has this coin and says it weighs around 4.69 4.70 grams. As far as I know that particular coin is very very rare. I took some pics. The best I could. what do you guys think?

Edited by Willy D
08/08/2020 4:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
17094 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please post a pic of the rev? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1561 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try posting in this forum:
http://goccf.com/f/3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50404 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much larger pics of both sides, please.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35486 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What makes it very,very rare?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46177 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half Cent planchets are smaller and lighter than the one cent. So if it were on a Half Cent planchet, the devices would be over the edge of the coin.
Half cent:
Diameter: 23.50 millimeters
Weight: 5.44 grams
One cent:
Diameter:28.00 millimeters
Weight: 10.89 grams

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/08/2020 7:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50404 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, which is why seeing "One Cent" on the reverse of this coin should be an eye-opener.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3600 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one from "grandpa's attic"? Love the blurry pictures!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willy D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Co

Here is the reverse. I bought a coin microscope so I'll have the ability to take better pictures when it comes in. Also jimbucks no it's not a grandpa's attic find. As I said it's my buddies coin. He knew nothing about it so I thought I would ask the community. You know what my grandpa did tell me when he was around, " if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it all. The reason I asked about this coin is because it's alot lighter than the large cent coins I've ran into. I'm getting a scale to weigh it, so I can see it with my own eyes. I searched it and Heritage Auction had some info about the 1851 Lage cent on a Half Cent planchet. Just search it a that's the first one that pops up. I just don't know what it sold for. However from what I've read they are very rare. Again I appreciate all your input.
Learn More...
United States
17094 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@willy, thx for posting a pic of the rev. So far, it looks like a normal large cent. While you are waiting to get an accurate measurement of the weight, can you please post the diameter?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3600 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty simple to put a ruler or even a quarter next to it and take a picture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50404 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. And again, can you enlarge these pics and give us close-ups of the surfaces?
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming weight is accurate, maybe fake or novelty? I saw the one on Heritage and this isn't it.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Collecting coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16911 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is large cent size but way too light. we have all seen what an acid soak will do to wheat cents easily reducing their weight by half. It will dod the same thing to a large cent. I suspect that is probably the case here.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3600 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Op appears to have gone away. No surprise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Op appears to have gone away

I can't say I blame them. It's pretty discouraging to be poked at. Happened to me early on, but I have a thick skin!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05