Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 No D Strong Reverse Lincoln Wheat Cent - Tooled-Au Details

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 662Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2510 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  01:21 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this recently from a dealer who didn't want to deal with it. The slab is so scratched up that the coin is practically impossible to photograph well at all. So asking for advice on what best to do with it. I will need to get it in a new holder anyway, but would be nice to get that "tooled" off of there. Only thing I can see wrong with it is a gouge on the cheek, not some re-engraving kind of thing.

Any ideas?

1922 no D strong reverse (type-2) Lincoln Wheat cent tooled-AU details

Pillar of the Community
United States
3525 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like the logical thing to do is break it out and resubmit it (if you want/need it stabbed).

I don't see any "tooling" either. This is a great coin any collector would be proud to have! Great example!
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB: Tooled around the eye and on the forehead by the hairline Did you look at the coin on PCGS ? Have a look. Click the pictures to the left to make it large and you get a better look at the coin, not sure but that would be my guess. https://www.PCGS.com/cert/39692491
Edited by Daves Errors
08/12/2020 03:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7375 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  04:05 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it looks like there was corrosion that was removed, then metal was moved to smooth the porosity.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's too bad that the holder is so scratched up...makes it difficult to see some of the tells. Any chance you can take a little better pic of "trust"? That's one of the tells...but I'm not even sure of that...because they do have it slabbed as Genuine...? Must be something on there that someone previously smoothed out or etched to enhance it. What a shame...great example...one of the best reverses I've seen.
After reading the replies...let us know what you decide.
Good luck
smat
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok...just looked up the cert # on PCGS and zoomed in...like Dave said...you can see it. Again...what a shame...was a great example. Still a very nice 22
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50371 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date alone leaves no doubt in my mind that it's a genuine no-D.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2283 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had some luck with a plastic restoration product called Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. It's really made for headlights, but it's good for slabs as well. I got a bottle at Walmart for about $7.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing a retooled cent. I would break it open and resubmit it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2271 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @DavesErrors, it looks like some tooling on the cheek to cover some deep pitting. Still, it's a fantastic example of the 22 no D. If you resubmit it, you'll probably get the same result on the label. Maybe start by polishing up the slab and see how it looks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46166 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably talking about the damage on the cheek.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB: I am thinking there was Pitting around the eye and forehead they might have removed. Still a great Pick and if you don't want it UM ya can send it my way. I already know your answer.
Edited by Daves Errors
08/12/2020 2:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2510 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Very helpful. And Dave you win, as I'm so tired from just getting back from my summer work that I didn't even think of looking up the cert images. That's opened a new door, as I don't actually have to photograph the coin as those images show how nice it is. I could fairly easily use a broad shot of the slab noting it could use re-holdered, but use the PCGS images to show the actual coin quality. I might just go that route and avoid having to do the re-holder bit. Maybe try the plastic polish to spiffy it up a bit as well. Sounds like the start of a plan. I still haven't decided whether to use this one as an upgrade for the one in my collection, or sell this one off and make a couple bucks over what I paid for it to buy something I don't yet have.

Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB: Try one of them Headlight renew kits from the auto part store to see if you can clean up the slap, works great on plastic headlight covers. It will take a lil work but I think you can make it look 90% better then it is. I did one of them kits on my Headlights and they look brand new Cheaper then PCGS
Edited by Daves Errors
08/12/2020 10:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lets see the one you have in your collection...love looking at 22 no D examples.
smat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2510 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have two more of them, but maybe the better one goes G or low end VG. Not worth photos. It's never really been a priority for me to upgrade to something better as not really in the heart of what I collect. Just having a lower end coin from each of the 4 die types has been fine. But after seeing the PCGS images it does give one pause, as unlikely I'll run into another one this nice anytime soon.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05