Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Put In The 7070?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,357Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the higher grade one... The edges of the cardboard in the album will hide some of the damage...
But I would also keep looking for a problem free one down the line as $ allows...
I probably upgraded 7-8 of my coins as I went along completing the set, one of them actually a couple days after I completed it.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
3556 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd put the higher grade in the album; the album will tend to downplay the rim damage.

This is not a super expensive coin, so you could upgrade at some point in the future as well.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KenKat- Still love your type set! Have you had any upgrades lately?
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the whole purpose of having a type set is to show the different designs. My opinion therefore is to have as high a grade as one can afford to show the details of each coin. With low grade coins the details just aren't there. I chose EF or better for my type set and tried to stick to that since the designs are well revealed on each coin. The decision on what to include is up to each individual and their funds to get them. I do not worry about upgrades since I bought the grade I wanted to start with.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer as high a grade, problem free coin as I can afford as well. I also strive for a consistent look to the pages....not always easy.

A mint state coin next to a good coin is just not appealing to me.

Edited by USSID18
08/20/2020 7:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i voted lower grade. you could find a better higher grade coin with no damage down the road.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5068 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't use the 7070 for my type set since it omits quit a few varieties.
My type set is based on the NGC Registry Type Set - 1793-1964.
That's 97 coins.
I'm missing 2.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm missing 2.

Which two?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5068 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which two?

A 1796 quarter and a 1796 or 1797 small eagle reverse half dollar.
I'm waiting until I hit the lottery before I buy them.
Which means I'm HIGHLY unlikely to ever own them.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 1796 quarter and a 1796 or 1797 small eagle reverse half dollar.
I'm waiting until I hit the lottery before I buy them.

I'm sitting here thinking, if I had your collection I would burn mine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4792 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the 7070 Album is meant to be a "type" album, I think it's most important that the coins in the album clearly show the distinctions between one type and another. I have other coins that I own for their investment value, but the ones in my 7070 album are not certified and I try to get examples that have the best looking details even if they have been improperly cleaned, have rim damage, etc.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have other coins that I own for their investment value,

Coins and investment in the same sentence! Hmmmm, would love to hear your strategy on that someday.

Quote:
but the ones in my 7070 album are not certified

Many in my 7070 are certified. Well, they were until I broke them out.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05