Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1805 (4 Berries) Draped Bust Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are your thoughts on this coin's condition and gradability? I rarely see such sharp detail on Draped Bust coins!

Pillar of the Community
United States
5262 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thought: terrific coin!
Detail looks mint state, with the softly-defined areas likely due to striking issues. I don't see any hairline scratches. The blotchy toning and slightly glossy areas (like the eagle's head and the clouds) could be evidence of cleaning.
Could grade MS-62 if straight-graded; otherwise I'd opine "MS detail, cleaned."
Either way, a coin to treasure!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jaobler! This coin is in a straight graded NGC holder--and for the sake of consistency in my PCGS type collection, I want to eventually send it to PCGS with a stipulation that as long as it straight grades, even if a little lower, they can crack it out and reslab it. Do you think the NGC straight grade (which may be a bit of an unofficial net grade) would help increase the chances PCGS straight grades it? I recently sent a family memeber's old coin collection (from the 1950s!) in to PCGS for certification and slabbing--and I was amazed how many Draped Bust coins ( half dimes and quarters) that seemed pretty obviously cleaned at some point were straight graded--and how the few that were "details" graded for cleaning, had the same beautiful album toning and lack of hairlines as the straight graders. I guess I am saying that I really don't know where the line is and would love to see which side of that line this beautiful dime would fall on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5262 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it currently has a straight grade I don't think I'd crack it. The risk of getting a details slab from PCGS must be considered. A crossover submission is an option but I don't think PCGS is likely to give it a higher grade.
If you think it's under graded it might be worth getting a reconsideration from NGC. Or, maybe you could score a gold bean from CAC.
Again, it's a lovely piece as is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:07 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure, but I love it. DB coins are tough to find well struck, especially the smaller size ones like the dime and half dime.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, Jaobler. I certainly won't crack it. If I send it to PCGS the stipulation will be "only crack it out IF it straight grades," which I just learned I can do, so the worst case scenario is that it comes back in its original NGC straight grade slab. I prefer the PCGS slab for continuity in my type collection (it is my only dime that is in an NGC holder, not a PCGS one). If PCGS gives it a straight AU(55) or higher I would be happy. I will give the grade tomorrow, in case anyone else wants to guess tonight.

I really appreciate your feedback here. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3600 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great. If it were me I wouldn't bother with a PCGS holder. I think it may be struck from worn dies that may give an appearance of cleaning.
Edited by jimbucks
08/15/2020 01:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic coin, nice luster and just a trace of wear. I'd say AU-58. I don't see any sign of a past cleaning, but if you send it to PCGS for a crossover, I would definitely stipulate that it needs to straight grade as you noted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
9150 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have a 4 berry in FR2 and was happy with that. this is an exceptional early piece. AU58
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it crosses over as AU(58) then I would be really happy--AU(55) I would be satisfied. If it crosses over at MS(62) I would be on the moon. AU(50-53) I don't imagine as possibilities, as the wear on this, if it is even wear and not weakness in the strike, is significantly and visibly less than AU(50-53) examples I see online. Thanks so much for your feedback--the stipulation of straight grading will be very clear when I eventually get to this. My next goal is to get a decently priced and well struct AU(50) Draped Bust half dollar from 1806.

Edited by Adam590
08/15/2020 12:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice !!
I collect both labels. I would be So happy to have it in either holder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful coin!

I once owned an AG-3 1805 and was thrilled with it. I can't imagine what's it like to have one in this condition!

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Paul Bulgerin
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05