Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Look For Information On A Possible Error On A 1956-D Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 383Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ducksaregreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, my name is Isabel. I'm new here. I've been collecting for five or so years now but a couple weeks ago, I'm came across a weird looking penny and I'm wondering if y'all had any insight on it and or what I should do from here if applicable.

So to the weird looking penny!

It is a 1956-D Lincoln penny but whats weird about it is above the "In God We Trust" it looks to be struck with the word "SAMPLE". Also, some of the Liberty is missing and the back looks to have been smushed//struck to many time. I'm really not sure.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36484 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Weight and size please. Never seen one before,looks interesting.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5633 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

All I can say is that is one strange looking coin!

Where did you find it? Circulation? Grandma's coin jar?

I've got a feeling this was done to the coin long after it left the mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a photo of the edge of the coin Please
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ducksaregreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys.

John1: Weight: I do not have a scale that weighs in that small amount. My husband said he can pick one up on his way home.
Size: 1 9/10 of an inch(used a regular ruler)

Westernsky: I thought the same thing. Funny enough, my father in law inherited his grandmothers/mother coin collection and he collected for a good 50 years. He offered to show his collection to me and this particular coin was just loose in a box. I wanted till we were finished looking through his collection to ask if I could keep it for my collection. And well here we are. I briefly asked him if he knew anything about it. He said it was his mothers. He didn't know if it had been in circulation or not.

Keith12: Of course!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will you clarify the "size" you gave above - is this the width or circumference, and is 1 and 9/10 of an inch correct?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4056 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westernsky said:

Quote:
I've got a feeling this was done to the coin long after it left the mint.

I think I agree, but I must say this is certainly baffling and interesting!

to the CCF, Isabel! It's nice to have more women here!

ša va bien aller
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drg, first welcome to CCF. Second, my opinion is that your coin left the Denver mint looking like other '56 cents, but has had a circumferential counterstamp applied with the word SAMPLE. I say this because the rim and design elements have been "smushed" flat from about 9 to 2 o'clock. I don't see how that could happen at the mint considering the rev rim is intact. Also, when I overlay a circle on your picture, I see that the coin is not quite round.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very logical explanation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5280 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ro Community.
I agree with post strike counter stamped, spence pretty much summed it up.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ducksaregreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence Oh ok. Thank you. I appreciate every bodies thoughts. Now my husband and I baffled about the coin. Worth anything? Even if it's not, I'll put it up on my wall with my collecting books.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05