Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922-P Peace Dollar - DD On Back Neck Or MD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 397Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  08:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Marine1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this Machine Doubling or a Double Die on the back neck? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35977 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD,small chance of maybe retooling of the die. It is not a doubled die though.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marine1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a noob collector I appreciate the guesses you've all provided. After a few minutes of research on another site I found the cause and correct term(s) to be channeling or die retouching with a 100% chance of the error being channeling. Just my advice, it really helps to use correct terminology and to leave out guesses when attempting to help out new coin collectors.

Now that I know better this is clearly not MD and the guy with over 35,000 posts should have known that as well.

"Looks like MD,small chance of maybe retooling of the die. It is not a doubled die though."
John1

At least you knew it wasn't a double die. The other guy who agreed obviously knows less.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought it was a UFO for a minute, but you guys ROCK !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35977 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Marine1999,
Sorry for wasting your time and mine,I will just ignore your posts in the future
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51181 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Marine1999 -You're getting off to a wobbly start with remarks like that.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marine1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog, I said what needed to be said. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. People calling themselves collectors handing out inaccurate information are and it shouldn't be tolerated on this site. I mean look at their responses, instead of acknowledging that a noob collector schooled them and provided them accurate information they acted childish and scorned. They need to up their game but after 35k posts these guys won't acknowledge their lack of expertise and I don't think after that many posts that they'll be cracking open any books anytime soon. If that's what you want the reputation of this site to be then so be it.

Then create a guesses and assumptions forum and see how many new collectors use it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4413 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I said what needed to be said. I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

Couple of points:

No need to sugar coat however you can say what you did without being insulting and coming across like an arrogant butterbar lt fresh out of OCS.

You are more than welcome here and your passion is certainly commendable. But in my opinion if this is your typical method of conversation I think there are other forums more suited to insults and a general lack of decorum.

If your name indicates you are a Marine vs a form a marine life then my first impression of you as a MARINE is a sierra bravo and you sound like a POG. I am ashamed at your arrogance and attitude in the first posts I have seen of you. Tact is one of the leadership principles. So practice some tact and you might be surprised what a NOOB can learn and even contribute here or from one Marine to another feel free to go.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I had never heard it called "channeling" before, but here's a post on Errof-Ref http://www.error-ref.com/retouching...gn-elements/ and has a 1923 $1 example with the same back of neck as the OP coin. There's also a Coin World article from 2012 about it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51181 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Marine1999 - You cross the line when you stop treating other people with respect. Your arrogance is most unbecoming.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like like MD to me. I'd say with 35K posts, maybe the guy already has been there and done that.... 1000's of times.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05