Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Last 90% Silver Halves: 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,093Next Topic
Page: of 2
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  2:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The 1964 Kennedy half dollars are among the most sought after of all 90% silver coins. These half dollars, the first to feature the now-familiar portrait of President John F. Kennedy, have been beloved as souvenirs and vessels of silver bullion among generations of Americans. Struck within weeks of the president's assassination in Dallas, Texas, on November 22, 1963, and introduced to the public by March 1964, these early Kennedy half dollars remain one of the top collectibles in United States numismatics.

The Kennedy half dollar was approved by Congress and signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on December 30, 1963 - barely six weeks after the president was killed at the age of 46 during his motorcade procession in Dealey Plaza. The numismatic move wiped the bust of Founding Father Benjamin Franklin from the obverse of the half dollar, where he had been seen since 1948, and replaced by a JFK bust designed by then-Chief Engraver of the United States Mint Gilroy Roberts; the reverse was anchored with a depiction of the Seal of the President of the United States as designed by Sculptor-Engraver Frank Gasparro.

Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5641 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember standing in line at the Collin County National Bank in McKinney, Texas in early 1964 waiting to exchange a paper dollar for two of the new Kennedy half dollars. They had a VP of the bank sitting at a desk in the lobby with a 1000$ bag of the new coins in front of him. You handed his secretary a dollar and he handed you two of the coins. This was a limit of two coins per person. The line moved pretty quick. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3835 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westernsky, and I'll bet that there was no hand sanitizer!
Edited by oriole
09/24/2020 3:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its strange that I don't even remember the coin coming out. I do remember the bank passing out these 1964 Tokyo Olympic coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun read. Thanks for sharing!
Looking to upgrade these dates for my Kennedy Dansco album: http://goccf.com/t/383320
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17623 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the 90% silver '64 Kennedy is a one year type, I have included it with my other US silver commemorative coins, even though it isn't a commemorative.

For me 1964 is the last year to collect American coins. It is after about 1960 that silver was withdrawn from World circulating coinage, and the US is no exception.
I don't collect modern base metal coinage or NCLT from any country after about 1960, (except for very obvious major errors).

That makes the '64 90% silver Kennedy important in it's own right.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy to have a roll of of the 1964 Philadelphia and a roll of the 1964 Denver mint strikes of this coin, all brilliant uncirculated. Along with those are two mint sets, two proof sets and an uncirculated set in a capital plastics holder, all 1964.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of new to this whole thing, and started off as a silver stacker early in 2020 and just now getting interested in numismatics. I hadn't considered the numismatic value of the 1964 Kennedy, thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6299 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another 1964

Learn More...
United States
92440 Posts
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I remember standing in line at the Collin County National Bank in McKinney, Texas in early 1964 waiting to exchange a paper dollar for two of the new Kennedy half dollars. They had a VP of the bank sitting at a desk in the lobby with a 1000$ bag of the new coins in front of him. You handed his secretary a dollar and he handed you two of the coins. This was a limit of two coins per person. The line moved pretty quick. Remember it like it was yesterday.

You were lucky. In 1964 I remember saving my penny's (probably wheat's, I don't remember), getting on my bike on a Saturday morning and peddling down to the South Shore Federal with the 50 penny's in my pocket. Getting to the bank, looking up at the teller and asking her if I could please have a Kennedy half dollar.

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the melt price of silver went to $45 an ounce in 1979 I turned in all of my 1964 KHD except for 2 of each mint. In 1979 dollars this would be $160 an ounce now. Would you turn yours in at $160 an ounce?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the melt price of silver went to $45 an ounce in 1979 I turned in all of my 1964 KHD except for 2 of each mint. In 1979 dollars this would be $160 an ounce now. Would you turn yours in at $160 an ounce?
Maybe...but to get there we'd have to first bring the Hunt Bros back!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Learn More...
United States
92440 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just the thought of melted Kennedy half dollars...

(Not that they would be necessarily be melted if the price got that high.)
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much would you guys say a MS-63 Kennedy is worth?
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me 1964 is the last year to collect American coins. It is after about 1960 that silver was withdrawn from World circulating coinage, and the US is no exception.
I don't collect modern base metal coinage or NCLT from any country after about 1960, (except for very obvious major errors).

That makes the '64 90% silver Kennedy important in it's own right.

The last Dutch Gulden in circulation that contained silver (720/1000 fine) was minted in 1967.
The last German mark (5) containing silver (625/1000 fine) was in circulation until 1974.
Edited by NumisEd
10/28/2020 4:39 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,093Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05