Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Mint Damaged 1888 IHC. Looks Double Struck To Me.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 457Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add larrw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a coin I found while metal detecting last week.I just realized that the coin appeared to be damaged while cleaning it up. It has extremely Strong details and the coin was probably lost in Extra Fine condition Plus. You can see the diamonds on the Hairband and all of the pearls on the necklace. At first I thought the coin had been hit with a hammer and flattened. But while brushing the coin and holding it at an angle is when I noticed the EXTRA UN Before UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and then I seen the "Double Strike" of UNITED STATES. The reverse of the coin is flattened on the left side of the coin. The coin is also slightly bent. It is also just slightly larger than a non damaged IHC.

I think it got stuck in the die and got stamped twice. But it does not explain the flattening of the reverse and the bend. Its possible someone had to Pry this thing out of the die and tossed it into the "circulation Pile" and bent it while doing that. Its also possible that there was 2 coin planchets being struck at the same time. Just not sure exactly what happened here, but the coin does appear to be smashed.

What do you guys think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52261 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please show these images right-side up, and one straight-on full pic of each side, please.

At this point, it looks to me like a corroded coin that may have been buried at some point. Better pics will help.

to the CCF!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larrw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Front
https://ibb.co/9h11phX][/url]

Back

The letters UN In Between 1888 and UNITED

The tops of the letters S T A T E S above _STATE
https://ibb.co/bscy6sy][/url]

Thats the best images I can provide at this moment. I will not be doing anymore cleaning to the coin BECAUSE I CAN SEE ALL OF IT JUST AS I STATE. I refuse to do anymore mechanical cleaning to this coin. If the Verdi Care is ever in stock again I would use it in a heartbeat to remove the rest of the dirt and grime, But that stuff has not been around for over a year and I wouldnt dream of using anything else on this coin at this point. It is what it is. The coins isn't going anywhere except storage at this point until a cleaner comes out that I can trust to remove just the dirt with.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's got a serious case of environmental damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
974 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2549 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously there's a lot of damage, but I'm also curious how this happened. Are the extra letters raised or incuse?
Learn More...
United States
17741 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@zurie, I'm with you. This is curious.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17051 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think he may have a valid case for it being double struck. Unfortunately it also appears to have been damaged post strike and then corroded from ground burial.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19871 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really does appear to be doubled. Sure is a shame about the condition.
just carl
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larrw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Zurie, These letters are Raised.

This coin would clean up much better but I'm scared to use anything on it right now. I know for a fact I could remove alot more and you would be able to see all the lettering very well. This is a prime example of a coin that would really clean up extremely well if I had some more Verdi Care..... It would take this dirt away from all of the lettering and you would clearly see the doubling extremely well. UNITED STATES is doubled. But I'm too scared to scratch around the lettering with mechanical cleaning. I could make all that dirt around UNITED disappear with Verdi Care. I just cant find that stuff. I seen some stuff over in the UK that appears to be there version of the cleaner but they will not let me put it in my cart and checkout. I think its because I live in the US and that stuff is a chemical that would have to go through customs. Just have to wait till someone else makes a coin cleaner in the US before I can clean this coin.
Edited by larrw
09/18/2020 9:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05