Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889-CC Morgan For Grading/Comments

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 417Next Topic  

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  09:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
9289 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 89(CC) are typically sharp and bold. your coin does not meet that for strike as the hair above the ear is weak as well as the breast is not boldly struck up. surface preservation is below average as the coin appears to have been dipped/cleaned and most if not all the luster has been removed. the round spots, especially noticeable in front of the profile, attest to this where it was not washed off completely. eye appeal due to this is below average as well.

AU55 details
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and could not have said it as well.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you. I was leaning AU58, but of course I'm biased since I own it. I appreciate the objective assessements.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51301 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see pics with a lot more light and the surfaces.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additional pics taken with the coin outside its coin holder and with more light. If you need more light, I can put together a light box to hopefully improve things.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2420 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say AU-55. Luster is subdued, but I think it would straight grade. Nice pics.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over dipped, AU 55
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lustre is indeed subdued. AU-55
Pillar of the Community
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU details. Surfaces don't look right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9289 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it does have a shot at 58 but I think its taking a small hit due to the slightly weak strike for the year, the removal of most of the luster and if you look at your second set of photos the area around the date is showing more wear than would be typical for a 58
Pillar of the Community
United States
5290 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with mid-AU detail and likely overdipped.
Nobody commented on authenticity but it looks genuine. I'm bothered by Liberty's weak jawline: it is barely outlined, almost blending with the field. I don't see any indication of a counterfeit but this feature is unusual.
I'd want this piece certified if I were considering a purchase.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had not noticed how weak the jawline appears, but the date and mintmark seem to match VAM-2 images perfectly. I'm pretty sure it is authentic, but it will certainly need to be authenticated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05