Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent Pickup: An Alleged "Canadian Jeton" -- Any Clues Out There?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 389Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This piece looks to be early-19th-century Anglo-Canadian, with the typical Tiffin-style British allegorical figure of "Commerce Seated" backed on the flip side with the bees swarming around their hive, signifying "Industry" as on any number of British and Irish Conders and 1811-20 copper tokens.

My recent pickup does have a couple of interesting features, however: On all the Commerce tokens I've been able to find pictured in my Withers and Charlton books, she's ALWAYS seated on a "bale," as she is here, but -- with the single exception of the 1825 Salaberry 1/2d -- she's ALWAYS "seated left." Gotta wonder what it means that she's seated right on this one.

Another intriguing difference is that, in my research, Commerce is only sometimes carrying balance scales in her outstretched hand. In most other instances that hand is holding an olive or laurel "sprig." Here, because of the wear at her right wrist, I can't quite make out what Commerce is cradling in that arm...a sword, maybe? A sceptre, or a quill? Her bagpipe? Generally we would see an overflowing cornucopia there, or in some cases a winged caduceus.

I'm hoping any of our CCF members who have a better example of this jeton can shed some more light on what that arm is holding, and of course any and all information that would help date and attribute this piece will be greatly appreciated! For example, was it a gambling counter, like a poker chip, or perhaps some sort of private-issue commercial token? Is there a reference book out there for collectors?

Thanks to all, and...wash your hands, everybody!
Tom
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8977 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't help you on ID but agree, it does appear to be much like the Tiffin halfpenny art.
I think it is an awesome token though, very cool.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4593 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try contacting Scott Douglas at South Wellington coin club, I sort of remember he did a presentation on a similar token before this covid thing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2417 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haven't seen it in any of my catalogs to do with Canadian tokens
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you just google beehive, token, coin you get some that look similar, but not the same
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although similar looking to a Tiffin, the OP's piece looks to have much better workmanship than the typical Tiffins. I suspect this piece was produced much later.

The beehive reminds of Utah motifs. Could it be a late 19th century US piece? Need to search tokencatalog.com

Nothing under Utah. Maybe Pennsylvania?
Edited by 1960NYGiants
09/16/2020 10:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks to all for your tips...still not much closer to an attribution, but I've started digging a little deeper into my library. So far I've ruled out Breton, Leroux, and Batty. Will check into Atkins, McLachlan, and Courteau's non-locals next.

John 101, I took your advice and heard back this afternoon from Scott Douglas. He's never seen one, but will do some further digging (and maybe some asking around) on my behalf. He closed with: "No matter what it is a nice token for sure."

I'm with you, 1960NYGiants, in the belief that it's a later issue than the "colonial tokens" we normally see in these forums. More refined die-cutting and strike, for starters. Not leaning toward a US source, though, as the GB tokens from 1784 to 1820 are rife with examples of both allegorical depictions (Commerce and Industry) looking almost exactly like the ones on this piece. If I were forced to take a guess, I'd put it in the same family -- or at least neighborhood -- as the Canadian Pacific, Keep Your Temper, and Playing Cards tokens.

Is there a catalog out there that covers those, and perhaps related jetons?

okiecoiner, I appreciate your looking, and I thought you might enjoy this shot I just took of my wife's favorite coffee mug...and no, I didn't buy it for her!

I'll stand by hopefully for input from some more of our fellow exonumismaniacs. Thanks again!

Tom
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a late 18th c English token with an almost identical beehive + bees image....the other side is completely different however... "Donaldson and Co. Stocking Manufacturers, Wholesale and Resale" with"Promissary Halfpenny - payable at NottinghM OR" around the edge [ending is somewhat cryptic]. The beehive is not uncommon as a symbol of British industry....my guess is that your token hails from the UK, not the colonies....
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS. additional text from the 'bee-side'"No. 29 Bull Street, Birmingham 1792"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8977 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check this out 383713539105
Maybe a clue?
1812 Britain Stockport Cheshire T. Cartwright Beehive Silver Sixpence Token D.8
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous clue, TNG!

Stockport's beehive tokens had certainly crossed my mind -- along with Bilston's, Newport's, and a few Irish "Not Locals" -- but I'd completely forgotten that the Stockport beehives were specifically paired with Commerce (seated right!). I should look at my "holdings" more often, or even my database, which is just an Excel spreadsheet that helps me avoid buying duplicates and keep track of what's in the vaults.

In any case, it's a great lead, and since I've had some excellent research successes with local museums in the UK in the past, I'll now begin working up some curator contacts to see where that takes me next.

Thanks again for the hot tip!
Tom
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8977 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great!
My favorite album!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 389Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05