Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945-P Walking Liberty Half Dollar Coin Possibly Rare?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  04:15 am Show Profile   Check villagekid's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just going through some walkers and found this coin.
It has rays or die cracks above the right shoulder and arm areas of lady liberty that extend upward much like the sun rays. Also, I noticed that the artist initials on the reverse appear missing. I'm aware of known examples of missing artist initials but is there any variety designation for what I see on the obverse?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I hope my pictures are sufficient.
Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51209 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us a close-up of this obverse phenomenon you see?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9044 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a die clash showing some detail of the eagles feathers. (They appear only as about 5 lines or like rays at the shoulder and then along outstretched arm.) Maybe not though?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
09/22/2020 09:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see that it matches anything on the reverse for a die clash. They look more like die gouges to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, not seeing it match up with a clash. Not die cracks. Strange that a series of die gauges or heavy die scratches would appear on a mid to mid-high relief point of the devices. it's an I'm not sure for me.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Check villagekid's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update:
I probably should change the title to possible Sunburst?
I received an email from a different source stating that this variety is listed in NGC Variety Plus and is considered quite rare.
It does match the markers from what I see.
Here is the link to NGC Variety Plus
https://www.NGCcoin.com/variety-plu...1947/820333/

This particular variety attribution is listed as:
1945 "SUNBURST" VP-001 It also shows a pic of the outstretched arm and shoulder area. NGC census population is 5 known WOW!

Interesting what you dismiss years ago and then find later in an old baseball type box...lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like an exact match. I never heard of that variety before. Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice find!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05