Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Can You Tell Me About This 1968 D With Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 562Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  6:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add onebakedpotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to get more sets of eyes on this Lincoln cent I found recently. I am not sure about the difference between Machine Doubling and double dies. I was hoping you could help me to know what I found here.

This may be my first significant Lincoln Memorial cent find.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Machine Doubling. Notice that the devices have been reduced in thickness by the doubling and that the doubled areas are flat and shelf-like.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
United States
1756 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, machine doubling--with a hint of early Die Deterioration.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add onebakedpotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. This is what I suspected
Learn More...
United States
17366 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1bp, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes shelf-like doubling that reduces the width of devices is going to be MD.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3753 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling. Keep searching... you're likely to find a good bunch more of these, as Machine Doubling is very common.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add onebakedpotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence Thank you.
-Notice that the devices have been reduced in thickness by the doubling and that the doubled areas are flat and shelf-like.-

This is very helpful and succinct.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling creates this "shelf-like " appearance lower than the actual devices. Where a double die is that the "Die " is made doubled and strikes the blank coin appearing as an equal height on device and numbers >
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46615 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note all the affected areas are in the same direction, because the machine was loose and damaged them in the same direction on that strike. On the next strike they could be in a different direction/angle/strength.

It just depends on how the machine feels on each strike. They are not doubled dies, but a normal die with machine damaging the devices after the strike. This can also happen on doubled dies, altering the DD but in a songe direction:

Note on all 4 images they are 1969-S DDO-001. Then note the yellow arrows. They point to the affected areas of Machine Doubling, on a doubled die. Again note, that all the affected areas are in one direction. The doubled dies are cause by doubling on the dies, thus the term "doubled die".
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 562Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05